Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Advice on managing databases

edited February 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
While I can create a database and set up different applications like WordPress and Vanilla, I don't really know much about databases. At the moment I'm afraid that the way I am managing my database may be bad practice.

I currently have several sites each with a separate database for each application. For example...

slogmeat.com --- exampledb_slogmeat_blog
slogmeat.com --- exampledb_slogmeat_forum
dmvu.com --- exampledb_dmvu_blog
dmvu.com --- exampledb_dmvu_forum

and so on.

What I'd like to know is should all these databases be set as one database? For example...

slogmeat.com --- exampledb_blog (but with prefix of slogmeat_)
dmvu.com --- exampledb_blog (but with prefix of dmvu_)

or

slogmeat.com --- exampledb_slogmeat (but with prefix blog_ and forum_)
dmvu.com --- exampledb_dmvu (but with prefix blog_ and forum_)

Hope that what I'm saying is clear. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am unfamiliar with how databases and MySQL actually works and can't find any beginner resources on the subject.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2006
    Unless your host sets a limit on the number of databases you can use, it's best to separate them so you don't even have to worry about namespace conflicts. The only exception I can think of is if they share tables, and the app is only designed to use one database (like vanilla); then it makes sense to keep them in the same db.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help, I'll keep doing what I normally do then. One more question I have is when should I have different database users? I take it that only applies when someone else needs to access the database?
  • Options
    I have a different user for each db, so if a hacker gets access to one, the rest aren't hosed. I'm not really an expert in DB security though.
This discussion has been closed.