Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

password-protect forum

edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,

I am using the free vanilla forum hosting and would like to know how to force users to log-in before being able to see anything in the forum.

either that, or have a password everyone must enter before having access to the forum.

i am trying to edit the roles but nothing happens, theres no edit button or delete button, nothing. i can only move them up or down?

thanks in advance for your help. i am working on a project and need to keep it private within the school!
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hmmm I fail, I totally missed that part of your post.

If you can't edit the roles I'm not sure what else you can do. Can you assign custom permissions to individual categories?

Answers

• Options
    I just added the following line to my config.php file:

$Configuration['Garden']['PrivateCommunity'] = TRUE;
  • Options
    I just added the following line to my config.php file:

$Configuration['Garden']['PrivateCommunity'] = TRUE;
    Can i access that file through the control panel?

This is a free hosted vanilla forum (xx.vanillaforums.com) I'm trying to find a way to edit the file but I can't find it

Thanks again for your help!

• Options
    Answer ✓

If you can't edit the roles I'm not sure what else you can do. Can you assign custom permissions to individual categories?
  • Options
    This brings up a good question (and I apologize because this is probably not the right topic) how does one find out about all of the configuration options available? I've been wasting my time trying to find a way to accomplish the same thing by modifiying a homepage. Now I see above that it is a simple one-liner in the configuration script. I have not been able to find this kind of info in the online documentation.
  • Options
    All I can do when I mouse over the different roles is to re-arrange the order in which they are listed? My mouse cursor transforms into this 4-arrow thingy and I can just move them up or down but I don't see how this is changing anything?

It is really weird not to be able to modify the different roles.

Thanks again. Any other idea?
  • Options

Yes I can. Thank you very much!

This is a good workaround!

Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    Glad to be of help, but it's still not a great solution, especially if you have a lot of categories, and there may still be things they can access without logging in (activity?).

Someone who knows more about the hosted Vanilla forums might be able to help you better, maybe @UnderDog knows who can help?
  • Options
    sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    Force users to login or not to show anything to a user that is not logged in.
    Go to your Dashboard -> Roles & Permissions -> Select Guest and Edit

uncheck all the permissions.
    unchecking them - the guests wont be able to see any posts or activity or anything - they will just have to sign in

May b this solves your problem?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    He tried that, for some reason he can't edit roles.

Can you post a screenshot of the Roles & Permissions view?