Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Wysiwyg and bbcode

DirtyDogDirtyDog ✭✭
edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
If I have NBBC installed is there a wysiwyg plugin that formats the posts with BBcode rather than HTML?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• x00x00 MVP
    edited October 2011 Answer ✓
    I would just use bbcode then, I would stick to what you are already using.

[gallery] is just a substitution there isn't an obvious translation. Another term for this is short code. Like [excerpt], etc.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• TinyMCE does, however I would avoid using bbcode in this day an age, especially if you are using Wysiwyg, except for legacy reasons.

grep is your friend.

• Can you elaborate on why I should avoid BBcode?
  • x00x00 MVP
    edited October 2011
    bbcode is not standardised, there can be a difference in how certain things are handled between sofware, for instance quotes and citations. Where as markdown, textile, xhml has some standard.

Nowadays xhtml can be sanitised more efficiently. Persnally I like to use htmlLawed. But I disable styles, and only allow the following classes:
    Center
    Left
    Justify
    Right
    BlockLeft
    BlockRight
    BlockCenter
    StrikeThrough
    UnderLine

with some modification to tinyMCE to format in classes rather then styles. However the default plugin is sufficient.

Back in the day Wysiwyg was rarer an less good. bbcode provided a simple markup language. If they are using Wysiwyg is not required, and those who know html can made do with that.

grep is your friend.

• Ok thanks for the explanation. I work with a few different sites that are photo intensive. The gallery software still gives embed code as BB code and we have shared that code and posts among the different sites. So if BB code doesn't work on my vanilla site that means that I can't cross post my photo rich posts from other sites without changing all the image tags in every one.

Can htmlLawed and NBBC be used at the same time? Is there a way to restrict HTML in posts completely?
  • x00x00 MVP
    edited October 2011 Answer ✓
    I would just use bbcode then, I would stick to what you are already using.

[gallery] is just a substitution there isn't an obvious translation. Another term for this is short code. Like [excerpt], etc.

grep is your friend.

• candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    I've found something interesting...
    Can you elaborate on why I should avoid BBcode?
    bbcode is not standardised, there can be a difference in how certain things are handled between sofware, for instance quotes and citations. Where as markdown, textile, xhml has some standard.

Nowadays xhtml can be sanitised more efficiently. Persnally I like to use htmlLawed. But I disable styles, and only allow the following classes:
    Center
    Left
    Justify
    Right
    BlockLeft
    BlockRight
    BlockCenter
    StrikeThrough
    UnderLine

with some modification to tinyMCE to format in classes rather then styles. However the default plugin is sufficient.
    Disabling classes avoid the XXS attack risk? I'm choosign between BBcode and HTML... ;)