Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Extremely slow forum loads

edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I'm having an issue with my site (http://www.daveandjoel.com/forum). The forum's loading extremely slow, often taken five or six seconds for every page. I've been talking to my webhost and they're convinced it's nothing on their end. I haven't changed any plug-ins (I barely use any anyway). Is there some hidden update or problem I'm somehow missing?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Answer ✓
    Enable mysql slow query logs, vanillas activity table is really slow due to a lot of queries lacking indexes. See the bug report.

Answers

• Answer ✓
    Enable mysql slow query logs, vanillas activity table is really slow due to a lot of queries lacking indexes. See the bug report.
  • Thanks for the reply!

I'm not seeing this as an option in the settings. Is it in there, or is it something I have to edit a config to apply?
  • slow query logs is a part of mysql itself, you could also enable debug mode in vanilla and view look at those, but slow query log will run constantly and update itself so you can monitor it periodically.
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    You can try turning on the debug plugin and seeing how long the queries are taking. Please note that there is a permission to view the debugging information so make sure it is checked/unchecked for the appropriate roles.

There are many things that can slow down the site once it starts getting a reasonable amount of traffic which is why we've put a lot of work into optimizing things on our hosted service. This includes caching, multiple webheads, the cdns and other tweaks.

One of the bottlenecks that we've seen is the use of myisam as a table storage engine. What happens is the entire table is locked whenever anyone is trying to update it. When you have several users trying to access your site at once this can cause waiting.

We put this the comments and discussion tables to support full text searching. We have an option coming up in a future release to force innodb which helps concurrency, but slows down search. You could also force innodb with a bit of code. This may help performance a bit, but performance optimization is a dark art.
  • 422422 Developer MVP
    edited October 2011
    Ran debug mode, ours is : Page completed in 0.9677s for discussions

and Page completed in 1.1535s for the forum ( main page )

That seems ok with me ? is it about right .. or should we be tweaking mysql

Initiated Minify:

Main forum now: Page completed in 0.6158s
    Discussions: Page completed in 0.9577s

Not sure how much of that is inherited because of cache. But looks ok

However if I view src and check this:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/forums/plugins/Minify/min/?token=our-token-was-herecd&v=2.0.17.10" media="screen" />

I get a 404 bad request

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Yes, this is bad. I was hoping that vanilla 2 would be optimized not to be a resource hog.
  • UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited October 2011
    @Anonymoose There are many things that still can be optimized. Mark the things you want to change, starting with the activity tab on the user profiles. Now you know where to look when you have the debugger set up right and the mysql slow query log.
    Each thing should be a separate topic to discuss in the developers forum.
    First we need to get 2.0.18 (final) out and then we can work on the topics one by one.
    I have a feeling they will be addressed soon.

There was an error rendering this rich post.