Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Replacing reCAPTCHA

AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Has anoyone developed any alternative method to reCAPTCHA? I don't want to suport it now that it is owned by Google.

Best Answer

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓
    @Todd I don't dislike reCAPTCHA but it would like some hooks in that nether region of the core, other forum have various option available. To put our own additional measure, or alternatives.

Also reCAPTCHA was recently cracked, leading the a 30% chance of automated spam, they may have corrected the problem by now, but it doesn't mean it wouldn't happen again. Also one criticism of reCAPTCHA is it can be illegible, and there are some harder tasks for spam bot the image processing.

This issue has been mentioned before. I could open a feature request on git hub if more agree.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    There aren't any alternatives to recaptcha that I know of. It would be quite difficult to replace it altogether though as it is kind of baked into the core.
  • Options
    x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓
    @Todd I don't dislike reCAPTCHA but it would like some hooks in that nether region of the core, other forum have various option available. To put our own additional measure, or alternatives.

Also reCAPTCHA was recently cracked, leading the a 30% chance of automated spam, they may have corrected the problem by now, but it doesn't mean it wouldn't happen again. Also one criticism of reCAPTCHA is it can be illegible, and there are some harder tasks for spam bot the image processing.

This issue has been mentioned before. I could open a feature request on git hub if more agree.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP
    edited October 2011
    I hate captcha with a passion. I understand it's importune ad ethics, just find it so annoying.

A better alternative is srvindas from 9lessons who emulates googles own gmail captcha.

http://www.9lessons.info/2010/07/google-like-captcha-with-php.html

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    I think the point is one man and his dog captcha can emulate the look of another captcha but it doesn't have the maths and data training, to lower the odds.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    It would be nice if this feature can be made so that it can be changed so that addons or some other modules can take place of the reCAPTCHA.

I've tried many things, and what works is a question and answer box that works against non-human agents and confuses humans enough that they give up, unless they are in-the-know of the topic of the forum.
  • Options
    All good points, but this change will most-likely have to come from the community. It's not a priority for the core team.
  • Options
    If the hooks are there, I'm sure the plugins will be made quickly.
  • Options
    The hooks can be added by the community too. We are an open source project hosted on github.
  • Options
    jone68jone68 New
    edited January 2013

I would like to replace google's reCAPTCHA too. Is it possible on 2.1 now?