Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Does anyone Minify their JS and CSS using the Plugin ?

422422 Developer MVP
edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
We do, and noticed today that if we click the associated js or css file, we get a 404 error... thats Minification to the extreme , ironically.

The files minified are:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/forums/plugins/Minify/min/?token=XXXXXXXXXX&v=2.0.17.10" media="screen" />

<script src="/forums/plugins/Minify/min/?token=XXXXXXXXXX&v=2.0.17.10" type="text/javascript"></script>

If anyone else uses this Minify Plugin, via the Dashboard, have you looked at your src code, and tested to see if your files are returning 400 Bad Requests.

Now this could possibly be because we have our own theme.. but I wouldnt have thought this would cause this error.

Error Code: HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request

from W3C
400 Bad Request
The request could not be understood by the server due to malformed syntax. The client should not repeat the request without modifications.
So is it an inherant issue with the plugin ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Best Answer

Answers

• Yes we do and no, we have no problems. Everything is working as it should here ...
  • 422422 Developer MVP
    edited October 2011
    Will checkout htaccess , as we run off our own base href .. This could be the issue

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I use PageSpeed with $AllInOne set to true;

Minify was know to be broken for a long time, I don't know it it was fixed.

grep is your friend.

• Just to let you know even the best obfuscation causes bugs. It messes with syntax, and can have unexpected result. There are two 'bugs' due to this on minify and pagespeed, even though there is nothign wrong with the original javascript.

Obfuscation is kind of a flawed concept, as far as javascript is concerned, unless extensive preformatting checks are done, which is unproven. Note: obfuscation and minification are different, but most minifiers use some degree of obfuscation becuase it help compress more, and also make it difficult to read. YUI Compressor only has slight obfuscation for the reasons I've stated.

Obfuscation is absolutely fine if you have control over the source, then bugs get reported and fixed, but where scripts are added here an there, conflicts are inevitable if changes are made. if you are happy with that, then by all means use it.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited October 2011 Answer ✓
    pagespead caches the results, are like so
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/cache/ps/style.504077418.css" media="all" />

<script src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.2/jquery.min.js" type="text/javascript">
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/cache/ps/functions.959130865.js">

grep is your friend.