Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

PDO for MySQL

edited November 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
My web host (GoDaddy) doesn't have PDO (PHP Data Objects) drivers enabled on their Windows hosting (which I use as a .NET sandbox, otherwise I would simply switch back to their Linux hosting).

I checked the phpinfo and confirmed this with their customer service. :(

Is there any way to have a Vanilla forum without it? The install simply won't go past this screen: http://i.imgur.com/dmoTq.png

Best Answer

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓
    We've talked about the PDO thing, and just to be clear: we are not planning to rewrite the data layer to work without PDO, so you're going to need to find your own solution. My suggestion - get PDO :)

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Answers

• I would ask them to enable it or move. Seriously I bet if it wasn't windows hosting you would have it, well I would be surprise if not, since GoDaddy such a common host and PDO so common.

The only reason why they wouldn't enable it is they aren't competent enough to do this. It shouldn't cause any issues with other customers.

grep is your friend.

• grep is your friend.

• it is unsupported through. You might have to mash it up pretty good.

grep is your friend.

Answer ✓
    We've talked about the PDO thing, and just to be clear: we are not planning to rewrite the data layer to work without PDO, so you're going to need to find your own solution. My suggestion - get PDO :)

• GoDaddy's Linux hosting and virtual/dedicated servers all have PDO. If I weren't using it for ASP.NET development, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

I'll try and get that hack to work, otherwise, I might even fire up a separate linux hosting account to get it.
  • Oh, and thanks for the official answer, Tim! It's appreciated! :)
    What are you doing with your forum, if I may ask?