Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to change default start page?

LauLau
edited December 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I want to know if it's possible to change the default start page of a Vanilla forum. I want my users to be directed to the Categories page by default. Any help?

Comments

• I'm certain this has been asked before. I don't recall the answer, but some searching should come up with an answer.
  • Should I bump my question once more?
  • You could try swapping index.php with categories.php in both root and controls dirs, I think that's what another did.
  • Good idea, but I need to make sure that the tabs will be labeled correctly. I will check this right now... By the way, how come this forum uses subfolders (/categories/ instead of categories.php) while mine is not?
  • It's a mod_rewrite feature that was brought in by 0.9.3
  • LauLau
    edited February 2006
    WHAT A MESS...
    • In root directory, I renamed index.php "discussions.php"
    • In root directory, I renamed categories.php "index.php"
    • In controls directory, I renamed index.php "discussions.php"
    • In controls directory, I renamed categories.php "index.php"
    • In init_internal.php from appg directory, I changed ./ for "discussions.php" and categories.php for "./"
    • I tweaked the Whispers.php extension
    Everything was fine except that when I clicked on a category, it forward me back on the root (you know... "/?CategoryID=1"). So I gave up, it seems like an hardcore tweak to do something that appears so simple...

Fortunately, I was able to get back to my original configuration. Wouldn't it be sweet if that option was implemented in future releases of Vanilla?
  • I've a feeling it is, isnt it?
  • so did anyone ever figure out how to do this. I really need this done. Can it be done by an extention if it can i will make it and post it up if someone helps me.
  • how do i change the directy, i seen people say chage settings.php in appg but that has no info,(it all like put this here) whitch settngs.php should i edit?
  • how do i change the directy, i seen people say chage settings.php in appg but that has no info,(it all like put this here) whitch settngs.php should i edit?
  • Dont change anything in appg/settings.php. If you need to make changes there copy the lines you wish to change into conf/settings.php and then change them. However i dont think doing anything in there will help you achieve what you want here...
  • ok i chanced it about 8 minutes ago because i did not get a respnse, lol, but i changed the stuff in conf/settings.php i forgot to change some of it and got tons of errors i went back fixed it but then i lost my theme and my tab pages from page maager. i went to setting by typeing in settings.php manually and then clicked page manger and got my links back. then i went themes and reaapplyed my cstom style and all is perfect!!!!! lets this be a guide to others.
  • haha. I cant follow that for the life of me but i'm glad it's working for you.
  • yea i am really tired its midinight here and i am tired and i just started my essay for german 1 lol i gotta get up @ 5:30 i am gonna be tiredd!! lol
  • Wow, it's been a while but I am still interesting in finding a better a simplier way to do so. I wasn't using Vanilla 2 at the time, so when I did install it two months ago, I didn't change it back the way it was before (being redirected to the Categories page by default).
  • Interesting question - is there an easier way to do this?
  • it wasnt hard, just edit about 5 values in the settings.php
  • So is there an easy way to have Categories as the start page or not? I think this would be really useful for a lot of people. Step by step explanation would be most welcome!
  • If you are runing a *nix server you can add to your .htacess file: DirectoryIndex categories.php
    Seems to work without problem on my test environment.
  • Unfortunately this doesn't work... :( If you try and browse to a category - for example: http://www.thecheesyriders.com/forum/?CategoryID=6, it defaults to categories.php not discussions.php...
This discussion has been closed.