Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

What's the theme for this board?

edited November 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Just curious as this theme looks much better than the default.

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    You can help support the project by redoing the default theme and submitting it to the community.
    I've made a design and made several colors for it, I'd be fine with it if you guys used it as the default :D
    Well, I would totally pay for this theme. I do not have the time to develop my own theme.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to include a nice theme like this in Vanilla. This theme would add a lot of value to the product, what do you gain by keeping it for yourself? The current default theme is really bland and there are very few other theme options versus other forums like phpbb.

I think the software is great but this is the only drawback for me.
    There's quite a few good themes in the addons section, did you look? http://vanillaforums.org/addon/browse/themes/recent/2

Also, I believe you should never ever use the default theme on any software. Why? Well, one, most of the time it's there for development purposes, like to get designers started and stuff, and two, it doesn't make your site look unique and like you put a lot of work in it.

Answers

• Options
    Probably a custom that's only available for this site. I wish they would redo the default.
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited November 2011
    This is an internal theme and is integrated into our branding. We will not release it.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    You can help support the project by redoing the default theme and submitting it to the community.
  • Options
    I glad they went with the coffee/vanilla colours. I suggested that ages ago, when it was the hot pink and blue phase (eek..).

I still think they should brand around thing related to vanilla, like coffee, vanilla specs, powdered chocolate, etc. I liked the old leaves logo on V1, fresh the current logo is good too.

I don't mean really complicated like lot of silly icons, just some simple touches an a colour scheme. There are almost too many colours ATM.

Also I think they should use "vanilla" in their blurb, make it obvious why the concept is vanilla. That is the main selling point for me.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Well, I would totally pay for this theme. I do not have the time to develop my own theme.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to include a nice theme like this in Vanilla. This theme would add a lot of value to the product, what do you gain by keeping it for yourself? The current default theme is really bland and there are very few other theme options versus other forums like phpbb.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    What most people (all people?) who post here seem to have a rough time understanding is that we *want* a TON of things for Vanilla. Literally a metric ****ton of things. Good things. Cool things. *Amazing* things.

We want these amazing things very very badly. It's not like we're running out of ideas and just sitting here playing scrabble with each other. We're actively working, 10+ hours a day on a bunch of different things. But there are 3 of us coding.

We. Don't. Have. Infinite. Time.

• Options
    There are some amazing people like @brujah and @jspautsch who are actively developing premium themes and making them available via ThemeForest.net

We *love* this. Why don't you head over there and buy one of those?

• Options
    Thanks, I'm an indie developer too but you already have the theme done. I'm just asking you to include it in the Vanilla forums package.

First impressions are everything and when you first load up Vanilla it just looks bland. I almost switched back to phpbb over it but I stayed with Vanilla because I like the simplicity of it. Also, certain things seem half done with the default theme such as the "Ask a Question" and "Start a New Discussion" which are just links that run together versus the nice buttons you have here.

I will check out ThemeForest.net. I really like this forums software it would just be great to have a really nice default theme included like the one on the forums here.
  • Options
    @Todd possible lack of MItem on Ask a Question / Start a Discussion?

• Options
    RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    the default theme may seem kind of weak, but the easiest way to remedy that is to embed it in any other html theme of your choice.. instant gratification
  • Options
    candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    I understand that the theme is not part of the core. Vanilla brand deserves it's own theme: there would be plenty of replicas around the Web, if not.

On the other hand, when/if vanillaforums.org would upgrade/change theme this one (2011 edition) could be put on themeforest and sold.
  • Options
    I should point out that a metric "ton" is actually a "tonne" :P

grep is your friend.

• Options
    Answer ✓
    I've made a design and made several colors for it, I'd be fine with it if you guys used it as the default :D

There's quite a few good themes in the addons section, did you look? http://vanillaforums.org/addon/browse/themes/recent/2

Also, I believe you should never ever use the default theme on any software. Why? Well, one, most of the time it's there for development purposes, like to get designers started and stuff, and two, it doesn't make your site look unique and like you put a lot of work in it.