Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Is there a way to show discussions/comments nested by default?

edited November 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I'm trying to replicate the functionality of a network54 forum. I'm on a group that wants to move away from them, and I'm trying to find alternatives. The group is very active, so it flows as more of a day-by-day conversation. So basically I want to show the subject line of each and every discussion and subject of every reply in a nested fashion. Only the subject line would display, and the user would be able to see the rest of the reply by clicking on it. There wouldn't be a bump for updates/replies, it would purely be like a top-down stack for topics.

I've been playing with the vanilla forum on my own site trying to replicate this but am not having much luck. From those that know, has this been done or is it even feasible?

e.g.
topic1 (most recent)
- topic 1 reply 1
- topic 1 reply 2
--- topic 1 reply 2 - reply 1
- topic 1 reply 3

topic 2 (older)
- topic 2 reply 1
etc.

Answers

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Vanilla is fundamentally structured in a different way than this "old school" forum style. You'd have to do a lot of coding to get it to work the way you want.
  • Options
    OK, thanks for the honest reply. I've messed with phpBB some, and I have to say I really like Vanilla! But I guess it won't work in this instance.
    I hated that old-style forum at first, but have grown to like it. It's a good fit for that particular group.