Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Guidance on Complete Integration

edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I work for a small .com start up that wants to use Vanilla for the forums for the site. The site is currently under development using PHP/MySql. We already have a database for users, login info, profile pics, etc. Our goal is to integrate Vanilla tightly into the rest of our site with as little bother as possible. I looked at the basic articles about passing login info from our site to vanilla, but I wondered if anyone here who has been down this road could fill me in on how to give a very tight integration, for example, using our profile pics in the forums, integrating the forum profile settings into our own profile pages, etc. Thanks!

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

The SSO library we are recommending is jsConnect. It synchronizes username, email, and photo when a user signs in.

We don't have anything specifically set up for administrating everything else from your app. I'd recommend the following:

1. Get your applications set up on the same domain so you can make ajax requests between the two. Vanilla supports cross-domain ajax via jsonp, but I think regular calls will be easier.
    2. Look at how our profile page has class="Popup" which hijacks those links into a popup. You could do something similar on your app's profile page, but request our profile links.
    3. You can remove the links in Vanilla with your theme and css.

Answers

• ToddTodd Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

The SSO library we are recommending is jsConnect. It synchronizes username, email, and photo when a user signs in.

We don't have anything specifically set up for administrating everything else from your app. I'd recommend the following:

1. Get your applications set up on the same domain so you can make ajax requests between the two. Vanilla supports cross-domain ajax via jsonp, but I think regular calls will be easier.
    2. Look at how our profile page has class="Popup" which hijacks those links into a popup. You could do something similar on your app's profile page, but request our profile links.
    3. You can remove the links in Vanilla with your theme and css.
  • Is it possible to test this for the hosted solution with Wordpress before upgrading?

I, and probably others, kind of want to see it working before paying for the small business plan.