Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

config.php

socksock
edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

what are the permissions for this file meant to be? i'm having a spot of difficulty with it, with 'not writable' errors when it's set to anything other than chmod777 (which can't be right).

i guess i need to know the user and group names for the file, too (which is what i'm guessing is wrong here).

having skimmed through a number of threads from the search results, all i get is that i should reinstall, which seems a little OTT :)

anyway, thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

Your web process needs to be able to write to the file and that's specific to your hosting environment.

Permissions of 777 are really not that big of a deal since web browsers don't have the ability to edit files on your server. If we were going to suggest a lesser permission then it would be 775, but that would flood this forum with support requests ;)

Answers

• ok, it should be user: apache, group: apache, and chmod'd to 775 (i think). nevermind! :D

• ToddTodd Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

Your web process needs to be able to write to the file and that's specific to your hosting environment.

Permissions of 777 are really not that big of a deal since web browsers don't have the ability to edit files on your server. If we were going to suggest a lesser permission then it would be 775, but that would flood this forum with support requests ;)

• yup, i think it was the user and group causing the problems. those must have changed when i was manually editing the file. thanks, todd!