Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Custom Disclaimer Upon Registration?

edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm just wondering if it is possible to have a custom Disclaimer/User Agreement/Terms of Use popup before registration information is entered? Having a User Agreement that all registered individuals must agree to is really necessary to protect from liability if some members try to use your forums for illegal activity. Authorities are cracking down HARD on that and our site is inherently political, meaning it matters that much more.

I'm using the latest version of Vanilla Forums 2, embedded in my website.

Thanks!
Ben

Best Answer

• TimTim Vanilla Staff
    edited December 2011 Answer ✓

You can do this with Translations.

When people sign up right now, they have to check off the box marked "Terms and Conditions". Hovering over that link shows the url: dashboard/home/termsofservice

This means the template in question is in the 'dashboard' application (in the views folder) under 'home', and is probably called 'termsofservice'. Open it.

Inside, you'll see something like <?php echo T('TermsOfServiceText');?>

This means that in order to change the default value of this text, you must make an entry in your /conf/locale.php for TermsOfServiceText:

$Definition['TermsOfServiceText'] = "My custom TOS";

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Answers

• TimTim Vanilla Staff

:)

• Oh and I may be a ModX/HTML/CSS nerd but I have only been using Vanilla for 12 hours, just fyi I'm a newbie.

• Have you tried registering using your own forum yet ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• TimTim Vanilla Staff
    edited December 2011 Answer ✓

You can do this with Translations.

When people sign up right now, they have to check off the box marked "Terms and Conditions". Hovering over that link shows the url: dashboard/home/termsofservice

This means the template in question is in the 'dashboard' application (in the views folder) under 'home', and is probably called 'termsofservice'. Open it.

Inside, you'll see something like <?php echo T('TermsOfServiceText');?>

This means that in order to change the default value of this text, you must make an entry in your /conf/locale.php for TermsOfServiceText:

$Definition['TermsOfServiceText'] = "My custom TOS";

• Yep, but I just went to do that again and your right, I missed it entirely lol. Any way I can modify the standard agreement?

• TimTim Vanilla Staff

I read your mind.

• Yes, yes you did lol. Damn you guys reply fast :)

• So in the local.php I need to add a new definition of Terms of Service? There isn't a way to edit the existing terms? I don't know much about PHP and I hesitate to muck with it.

• @maroonlover , @tim doesnt sleep. He is a nocturnal rampaging coder.

• TimTim Vanilla Staff

The existing terms are part of the default locale. I wouldn't mess with that, but you can certainly look at it. Its in /applications/dashboard/locale/en-CA/definitions.php

• TimTim Vanilla Staff

Just copy that definition from the en-CA locale into /conf/locale.php. Don't forget to start the locale.php file with:

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();

• TimTim Vanilla Staff

422 said:
    @maroonlover , @tim doesnt sleep. He is a nocturnal rampaging coder.

This is correct

• Ok, just made the change to the locals file and it works perfectly!

• Well done @maroonlover :)

• TimTim Vanilla Staff

Make sure you accept the relevant answers so that other people can see what works.

• Good to know, and now back to a ridiculous deadline... the only reason of which I can make it being the ease of use of Vanilla Forums. Love this product!... now if only someone could get that damn sitemap plugin working consistently, but thats another thread........

• G'Night!