Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

[Solved] Problems installing Vanilla

UnderDogUnderDog MVP
edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
This discussion was created from comments split from: can't install Vanilla.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2011

I have this same problem.. I am still learning this stuff and am stumped as to what to fill in in the fields - I have searched everywhere and it's interesting that even the vanilla installation guide assumes we will know what this is.

What should I fill in for:
    localhost, database name, database user, and database password?

And why does it keep saying ValidateConnection?

please help.. please break it down in a way that can be understood by even someone who doesn't know much about programming. I have searched all over and can't find the answer.

..and yes I have hosting.. use cpanel.. have mysql and phpmyadmin.. the works. I just need to know exactly what to fill in what fields.

• Options
    sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

in cpanel you have to first create a database in which you want your forum database.

suppose you create a database named FORUM.

now you will need to create a user which can access this database.

in cpanel you will create a user and will have to choose a password for this user.
    suppose user: forumuser; pass : **********

now again in cpanel you will have to link this user forumuser with your database FORUM and will give this user permissions to do everything on your FORUM database.

all set

now in your install just enter the above values

db host : localhost

db user : forumuser

db pass : ***********

and other settings for the admin. hope that helps

• Options

Thank you SO much. I knew it couldn't be that hard. What I needed to do was create the database and database user. Two minutes and voila. All set. Thanks again.

• Options
    sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011

you r welcome