Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Dosen't it seem as if..

edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Vanilla is loosing popularity? :S

Best Answer

• Options
    candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited December 2011 Answer ✓

I agree with sahotataran.
    Next release (with badges and other addons) could give a boost.
    Liannight's post, though unpleasant on a Vanilla fans board, has a basis in truth. Vanilla currently does not have much appeal, despite the undoubted quality. Just look at the number of users connected at the same hour, on the official forums of the main competitors! If Vanilla want to become the "wordpress" of forums, there is still a long way to go (not so much from the technical point of view but from the image/advertise one): if you want to be just the "textpattern" of forums (that maybe it's better!), we are on track...

Answers

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Not nearly as much as your grammar and spelling.

What a stupid thread

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

422 said:
    Not nearly as much as your grammar and spelling.

What a stupid thread

A specific answer would've been nice. What an obnoxious comment.

• Options

Trolololol :P

• Options

DeadlyCreampuff said:
    Trolololol :P

Eh, I sound like such a noob don't i? xD

• Options

I think Vanilla always was (and maybe will be) totally underrated. But what makes you think it looses popularity?

• Options

Kiwii said:
    I think Vanilla always was (and maybe will be) totally underrated. But what makes you think it looses popularity?

All the other forums i've been too whines how vanilla grown out of interest of somesort. I don't think so, but many do. They say It's because how vanilla nowadays are not like vanilla 1. Which makes me think if vanilla is loosing popularity.

• Options
    sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭

Vanilla default theme needs to be changed may be because that's what user sees when they try demo anywhere. When I first saw vanilla it was perfectly themed which inspired me to use vanilla :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited December 2011 Answer ✓

I agree with sahotataran.
    Next release (with badges and other addons) could give a boost.
    Liannight's post, though unpleasant on a Vanilla fans board, has a basis in truth. Vanilla currently does not have much appeal, despite the undoubted quality. Just look at the number of users connected at the same hour, on the official forums of the main competitors! If Vanilla want to become the "wordpress" of forums, there is still a long way to go (not so much from the technical point of view but from the image/advertise one): if you want to be just the "textpattern" of forums (that maybe it's better!), we are on track...

• Options
    edited December 2011

I don't think so. I have switched from SMF/VB to Vanilla because in web dev communities, it has become well known for it's simplicity and ease of customization. I also find that many very popular sites have been switching to it, which is how I came to learn about Vanilla (css-tricks.com off the top of my head). I feel like it's less popular compared to the other forums because:

1) It's newer compared to the more popular forum solutions

2) Deviates from the traditional forum look and feel

3) Doesn't have a vast community of developers (fewer plugins, themes, etc.)

I think that Vanilla will gain popularity as time goes on, especially with its dev track.