Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Upgrade information

ercatliercatli
edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I use Vanilla, but don't keep up-to-date with everything all the time. I have 2.0.17 and one plugin I want to use requires 2.0.18, so I want to upgrade. In the old days (I started using Vanilla back about 5 years ago) I thought there was a list somewhere of files altered in each upgrade. Is there still something like this? I couldn't find it.

My problem is, I tried the upgrade and it crashed, dunno why. So I re-installed the old version. It looks lie I'll have to do a bit of testing and de-bugging, but it would be helpful to know which files I should be looking at.

Thanks.

Best Answers

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

ercatli said:
    My problem is, I tried the upgrade and it crashed.

For problem solvers it is really interesting what error message the crash gave you. In that case you will have to turn on the Debug information in the config.php
    Find "debug" in the config.php and set it to "TRUE"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

but in the meantime, is there a list of the changed files, or is it most of them?

This time it's a lot of files that got changed.

What I would do is:

* Get all the files of your current website in 1 directory, let's call it "website"
    * Get all the files of 2.0.18.1 in another directory, let's call it "newfiles"
    * Compare the 2 directories with a program called "WinMerge" (for Windows)
    * What you will get is all the files that are different between the 2 directories and all the changes they have between "website" and "newfiles"

Answers

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

ercatli said:
    My problem is, I tried the upgrade and it crashed.

For problem solvers it is really interesting what error message the crash gave you. In that case you will have to turn on the Debug information in the config.php
    Find "debug" in the config.php and set it to "TRUE"

• Yes, that is true. I think it was just a standard blue screen with "Bonk" and a message like that page doesn't exist, but I'll have to check that.

My plan was to get an understanding of what files were updated in the 2.0.17 to 2.0.18 upgrade, then re-install and check if I could find something simple that was wrong before I sought more advice. So I expect I'll be back with the info you're suggesting, but in the meantime, is there a list of the changed files, or is it most of them? (But I recall some upgrades in Vanilla 1 when it was only a few files.)

Thanks.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

but in the meantime, is there a list of the changed files, or is it most of them?

This time it's a lot of files that got changed.

What I would do is:

* Get all the files of your current website in 1 directory, let's call it "website"
    * Get all the files of 2.0.18.1 in another directory, let's call it "newfiles"
    * Compare the 2 directories with a program called "WinMerge" (for Windows)
    * What you will get is all the files that are different between the 2 directories and all the changes they have between "website" and "newfiles"

• I have a Mac, so I used Terminal and Unix to do the same thing. The result was:

3 files were only in 2.0.17
    36 files were only in 2.0.18
    90 files were changed
    Dunno how many left unchanged.

So that must have been a major, major upgrade, and I won't find any problems by just looking at the changed files like I could do in a minor upgrade. (Of course some of the differences will be due to the changes I have made in 17, which themes are loaded, etc, but most are in the core files.)

Thanks for your help. Now I'll have to go back to normal debugging. I'll probably be back qith a question about the error message! : (

• Error messages are always interesting.

If it's something simple it's fixed easily and you will have fun with your new version for a long long time.

If it's something difficult, you will love the efforts while fixing it and it will be a point of attention for the next upgrade.

• ercatliercatli
    edited January 2012

Well it installed fine this time (just like I expect from Vanilla), I must have done something wrong first time. Sorry to bother you all. Thanks for your willingness to help.

• @ercatli just backup your site, if you like and backup your database too.

What I would do is backup your entire (working) site to your local PC and set up a localhost with your (working) vanilla site.

Setting up a localhost is easy with Xampp, Wampp, or equivalents (don't know nothing about Mac equivalent, but wouldn't be surprised if that would be MAMPP

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

And if something does go wrong, backup situation on your website and set it up on your local PC, then replicate the problem.

Now with a non-working site, you will have the backup of your non-working situation of your files and your database. If you can replicate the problem it's easier to report a bugreport and a forum post :-)

• Yeah, I know I should do that, but I'm lazy and that means one more thing I need to learn how to do. But I think you're comment has prodded me to do it. Thanks.