Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Integrate with WordPress Logins

edited November 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I know it's been mentioned before but I have a newly created site that won't be getting a lot of visitors for the next two weeks (basically none), so I have almost no accounts on either my WordPress or my Vanilla. I was wondering if I could set it up so that when users click to make an account on WordPress/login on the wordpress pages, it uses the vanilla system. That way people won't get confused having two user accounts on my site. Otherwise, I'm just going to have to disable accounts on wordpress altogether so they don't get confused. Thanks, James

Comments

• Options
    What version are you using? 0.9.2 or 0.9.3? In the latest version (that will become version 1), I think you can. I think Mark has made a framework (called people. correct me if I am wrong) which will have a shared login with other applications. I don't think it can be easily implemented with the old, or current release though.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    It's more of a scaffold within the vanilla framework, but generally, nathan is on the right track. However, at the moment the SVN is under some heavy dev by mark and the crew helping out with the xhtml fixes so it's not recommended that you update your SVN copy or pull a new one because running it will not work as intended.
  • Options
    It is possible to get old versions from the SVN tree, but I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Options
    I'm currently using 9.2.
  • Options
    well, it can't be done (easily) in that version.
  • Options
    In the future, when 9.3 is finished, will it be painless for me to update? If not, maybe I should just switch over now before I get a lot of posts/users?
  • Options
    It will be even more painless than it is now (it's pretty easy now).
  • Options
    Thanks. I look forward to the new features and hope it doesn't cause me any problems with keeping the same style/database entries/extensions.
  • Options
    Any update on this yet?
  • Options
    I'm pretty interested in this too.
  • Options
    This is definitely something I'm looking forward to. Then again, when is Swell 1.0 due out? LOL j/k :P
  • Options
    has anyone got wordpress & vanilla working together? some examples of your sites, please
  • Options
    Like .. Should I have both in a same database or two different databases that link to the same 'people' table Pros - Cons
  • Options
    Why bother putting them in 2 seperate databases anyway?
  • Options
    Whoever manages to make a nice Wordpress plugin for this is going to make Vanilla very popular with the Wordpress crew.....
  • Options
    Mini: the biggest reason would be security. Someone who managed to get your wordpress database login info wouldn't automatically have access to your vanilla tables, and vice versa.

Is this actually compelling? Probably not, but it is a consideration.
  • Options
    ToivoToivo New
    edited June 2006
    mini, this is probably a stupid reason but to keep track how big both are :)
  • Options
    so how is this extension going?
  • Options
    Here's a typical example of a Wordpress thread about forums/Vanilla: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/76973
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I'd like to do this, but I'm pretty busy, and I owe mini a theme once Vanilla 1 is out :)
This discussion has been closed.