Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Trying to wrap my head around Activity, "public messages"? and wall writing

ddumontddumont ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

There's an email preference for "wall" writing notification. Do I have a wall?
(I've said it 3 times and now the word just looks silly)

I didn't get a notification for that post. I have everything checked.
What kind of post is that? To me it looks like a public (but directed) message, fitting in with the wall concept. But it gets drowned out commented on and mentioned in notifications that appear in the activity view.

I wonder if it would be more useful to group comments, mentions, and discussion by day? (or at the very least by discussion: I have many multiples of entries for popular discussions) to take up less space and make room for messages (wall posts) which get lost too easily in the noise.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Options
    ddumontddumont ✭✭
    edited January 2012

maybe something like:

Today

ddumont participated in these discussions: (expander button)

Todd posted a message on ddumont's wall:

Hey that's a great idea!

:)

• Options

@Todd @Lincoln I know that you guys had mentioned improvements to the Activity system. Has there been any progress on solidifying those plans?

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

The activity system has been revamped in our 2.1 branch and this site is currently running on that code. A few of the things we've done.

1. There are still activity types, but they don't really include all of the data to render an activity anymore. The activities have a HeadlineFormat.

2. When you want to notify someone you specify that in NotifyUserID on the activity rather than in the activity type. You notify everyone by specifying NOTIFY_PUBLIC. There is also a NOTIFY_MODS, and NOTIFY_ADMINS which we'll be making more use of in the future.

3. The activity comments have been separated out of the activity table and into their own table.

4. Activities can now group together similar to Facebook. This allows us to show the 10-20 users that join this forum every day as just one activity. It makes everything a lot easier to read.

A lot of the changes (especially 1-3) were made because activities just didn't scale. Now they do. There are also a few more UX improvements. I want the activity page to get used more and more and there will be even more improvements for that.

• Options

Nice!