HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Case sensitive database table names

The name of database tables in Garden contain uppercase letters i.e. 'ActivityType' and are hard-coded. This gives me a headache when porting the database between different platforms.

Since webhosts are not so keen on changing MySQL system variables, I recommend that in next version, pull out every DB table name from the code to a config file as constants. Then people could easily change uppercase to lowercase in db table names if they want to.

Please make the database cross-platform.

Best Answer

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

By did you move from windows to linux?

Besides if case is the issue just after a move, changing existing table name would solve the issue. Or using the porter.

Only a poor host would force lowercase table name on creation, and case sensitive connections.

Setting table name in config is a poor solution, if the issue is not addressed by ensuring the table names are correct after move, then you really have a shoddy set up, that is going to affect the schema in the future.

This is a general problem not really vanilla/garden specific.

also be wary with old, versions of MySQL.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

By did you move from windows to linux?

Besides if case is the issue just after a move, changing existing table name would solve the issue. Or using the porter.

Only a poor host would force lowercase table name on creation, and case sensitive connections.

Setting table name in config is a poor solution, if the issue is not addressed by ensuring the table names are correct after move, then you really have a shoddy set up, that is going to affect the schema in the future.

This is a general problem not really vanilla/garden specific.

also be wary with old, versions of MySQL.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    CsabbencsCsabbencs
    edited February 2012

Finally, I didn't find a better way than changing table names to uppercase one by one. It took some time, though.