Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Hide identity when posting a discussion?

jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

The checkbox for "Hide my identity" appears when posting a comment, but not when posting a new discussion, is this a bug or working as intended?

Best Answer

• x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

I've fixed the problem. I had it for existing rather than both exiting an new posts.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• It uses the DiscussionFormOptions hook, I'll just check this with the latest version of Vanilla.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

I've fixed the problem. I had it for existing rather than both exiting an new posts.

grep is your friend.

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

Also there's an odd behavior where the checkbox will only appear after at least 1 other comment has been posted on the thread, think it's because it checks for an existing comment before posting, but the original discussion post isn't technically a comment.

Another suggestion, you might want to use the BeforeSaveComment event to intercept the inserting UserID before it gets stored in the database, would make users more comfortable posting anonymously if their information never reached the database in the first place.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2012

Also there's an odd behaviour where the checkbox will only appear after at least 1 other comment has been posted on the thread, think it's because it checks for an existing comment before posting, but the original discussion post isn't technically a comment.

I'm not seeing this problem now.

Another suggestion, you might want to use the BeforeSaveComment event to intercept the inserting UserID before it gets stored in the database, would make users more comfortable posting anonymously if their information never reached the database in the first place.

That is not what not what the person who sponsored it wanted. There is already a anonymous plugin, but you would not be able to revert.

At the moment you would have to set the permissions for viewing the profiles, and also filter the feeds.

I will filter these, but any other feature people want, please sponsor.

grep is your friend.

• Ok I need to think about this some more.

grep is your friend.

• Ok I have updated this to offer slightly lower level striping, and also made it compatible with the quotes plugin.

it should strip feeds, and the standard api too.

Caveat!!!

This does not offer absolute anonymity, simply a cloak. if you want absolute anonymity use Anonymouse plugin.

It is unlikely to be compatible with plugins that get individual comment/discussion data. Or bypass the model.

I have tried to make it computable with the quotes plugin, however.

Anything else please sponsor.

grep is your friend.