Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Using script.aculo.us effects on post

edited June 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Like the yellow fade extension, I was wondering if it's fairly easy to use some of these effects ( http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/CombinationEffectsDemo ) on vanilla. I was thinking that "effect.SlideDown" would look *awesome*. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    id love to see that :)
  • Options
    ++
  • Options
    ?
  • Options
    Uh, "me too". :D
  • Options
    Here's the code for the drop down one, if anyone could hack up a YellowFade-type extension based on it. It's a little bit over my head. Effect.SlideDown = function(element) { element = $(element); Element.cleanWhitespace(element); // SlideDown need to have the content of the element wrapped in a container element with fixed height! var oldInnerBottom = Element.getStyle(element.firstChild, 'bottom'); var elementDimensions = Element.getDimensions(element); return new Effect.Scale(element, 100, Object.extend({ scaleContent: false, scaleX: false, scaleFrom: 0, scaleMode: {originalHeight: elementDimensions.height, originalWidth: elementDimensions.width}, restoreAfterFinish: true, afterSetup: function(effect) { with(Element) { makePositioned(effect.element); makePositioned(effect.element.firstChild); if(window.opera) setStyle(effect.element, {top: ''}); makeClipping(effect.element); setStyle(effect.element, {height: '0px'}); show(element); }}, afterUpdateInternal: function(effect) { with(Element) { setStyle(effect.element.firstChild, {bottom: (effect.dims[0] - effect.element.clientHeight) + 'px' }); }}, afterFinishInternal: function(effect) { with(Element) { undoClipping(effect.element); // IE will crash if child is undoPositioned first if(/MSIE/.test(navigator.userAgent)){ undoPositioned(effect.element); undoPositioned(effect.element.firstChild); }else{ undoPositioned(effect.element.firstChild); undoPositioned(effect.element); } setStyle(effect.element.firstChild, {bottom: oldInnerBottom}); }} }, arguments[1] || {}) ); }
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    If this is for use in say, expanding an entire thread, that would be a bad idea. But if this is for just the reply, I could see it in a future style/theme. I think the best possible place something like this could be used is in the admin extension panel. Mark if you're reading this, you have no idea how annoying it is having to scroll up and down that thing when setting exensions up. Just display the extension headers, and fold/unfold the description. Fade the colors to red/green based on whether it's enabled or not.
  • Options
    I think this is to scroll down to the unread posts.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    That's what anchors are for :) I was referring to the main suggestion.
  • Options
    Well the anchors are fine, but kind of disorienting.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    lech - that's a good idea about the extensions. I'll have to think about the best way to do that.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    The least you could do there, mark, is remove the call to automatically jump to the added or removed extension. I think this is what I liked about the previous version because it simply changed the class on the object being enabled/disabled and allowed for simple color changes applied to it's class and didn't seem to jump around the page. While a drag and drop system would be ideal (although unecessary due to browser compatibilities and shortcomings which still exist). Just having it not bounce around to anchor points is good enough for me.
  • Options
    you could have it scroll out of one list and into the other.
  • Options
    Yeah, having it fold up in one and out in the other column would be pretty slick. Good idea mini.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    A better use of it might be calling the vars from a thread with multiple pages to expand out into just one large page. Comment reply box included.
  • Options
    *bump*
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Con, I've noticed that over the past few days you've been digging up and needlessly bumping quite a number of long-since-dead threads compounded by asking many questions for easy to find answers had you simply searched the forum or bothered looking through the add-ons directory. Some of the users you're asking answers for haven't been active since leaving a comment or starting the discussion so you're simply echoing the question many months (or in this case well over a year) after the fact since it was "left to be".

Please, use the search and don't bump any more dormant threads unless it's absolutely relevant and necessary to do so. Instead start a fresh topic in the appropriate category to the question of the day you happen to have... without the font tags and colors, please.

I'm beginning to think that you're simply a mindless bot until proven otherwise.
  • Options
    Are there people who know the meaning of "con" in french? It sounds so damn funny to me I can't avoid asking this XD
  • Options
    I'm beginning to think that you're simply a mindless bot until proven otherwise.
    My thoughts exactly lech.. and it hasn't been for the past few days, more like weeks.
  • Options
    Ø: He he... Seems fitting.

I first assumed it was like Spanish con meaning together or English prefix meaning either together or against (congress, contridiction etc.)
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    In french there are two meanings, and none is very flattering :)
This discussion has been closed.