Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Is it true that Vanilla forum's memory usage gets worse as the community grows?

edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

This is one of the negative things I have heard about Vanilla (source):

@Gillingham said: I have ~7k users on my forum. Vanilla needs a decent amount of memory setup for mysql to function well. A lot of the queries relating to activities are especially bad so I manually edited out the Activities tab from the main navigation. There are still considerable queries that end up happening without using indexes and when your activity table has ~5M rows those can take a longgg time.

Does that apply to the current stable version of Vanilla? or Has it been fixed already? I am a tad-bit worried.

Best Answers

• Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Well, it all depends on the amount of memory he calls "decent".
    Nowadays, memory is quite cheap.

The important thing there was surely that they are/were no index for the activity table.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

Activity is now well indexed, you can also use vanilla routes to ensure that it is never reached.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• Options
    lucluc ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Well, it all depends on the amount of memory he calls "decent".
    Nowadays, memory is quite cheap.

The important thing there was surely that they are/were no index for the activity table.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    Answer ✓

Activity is now well indexed, you can also use vanilla routes to ensure that it is never reached.

grep is your friend.

• Options

@x00 : Thanks for chipping in yet again.

I didn't know that. Checking out the documentation for Routes.