Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Conversations in inbox linger in database. - feature or bug?

peregrineperegrine MVP
edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Is this a bug or a feature - referring to Inbox messaging
If all recipients delete the conversation, wouldn't it be better to delete the conversation from the database. As it stands now, it remains there forever in ConversationMessage.

Whereas, if a discussion is deleted, it is removed from the database.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• Options
    lucluc ✭✭

The issue is that when a discussion is deleted, it's not linked to any particular user. Hence, no specific check is necessary.
    I'm quite surprised about that, I thought it was just marked as deleted.

For a conversation, it's like you said, it might be good to remove it once all users deleted it. It requires more checks, and being able to track all those users and what they did do, or parse the tables each time a user delete it to find out if he was the last one.
    Performance wise, they are many issue with that.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2012

Seems like a utility function could be added to dashboard to clear detritus from the databases, if this is a bug maybe @Todd would know, maybe there an intention to change it in the future. Or perhaps there already is a utility that I am not aware of.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.