Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved][Documentation] Layout: removing "IP address" from comment info*

edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm trying to find out how to remove the IP address from the info in a comment, which also displays (if you're an admin/mod) "Edit Announce Sink Close Delete Discussion"

I've searched and I can't find it. I'd like to remove the IP address from all comments, I'd like to remove the "Sink" button and if possible I'd like to allign the "Edit Announce Sink Close Delete Discussion" to the right instead of next to the name of the comment poster. Where do I need to look ?

Best Answer

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited March 2012 Answer ✓

phuncz said:
    I've searched and I can't find it.

Where did you search? Did you search in the files from Vanilla? Did you also search in the 'views' folder of Vanilla? There are 2 locations that you need to change. What files or what text did you search for?

In 'discussion' and 'discussions' there is a file that you need to open and then you can make your adjustments.

Search again and see if you can find those files you need to change.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited March 2012 Answer ✓

phuncz said:
    I've searched and I can't find it.

Where did you search? Did you search in the files from Vanilla? Did you also search in the 'views' folder of Vanilla? There are 2 locations that you need to change. What files or what text did you search for?

In 'discussion' and 'discussions' there is a file that you need to open and then you can make your adjustments.

Search again and see if you can find those files you need to change.

• edited March 2012

Very nice, you put me in the right direction and I now got it how I want it. Thank you very much !

For reference: I found it in the "helper_functions.php" file.

EDIT: do I need to alter the file in "discussions" as well ? As just changing the file in "discussion" seems to have worked perfectly.

EDIT 2: never mind, I figured it out, changing it in "discussions" removes the mentions on the "options" button in the discussions list.

• do not edit these file directly. They will be overwritten. instead copy them to your views

you should use this structure yourtheme/views/discussion and yourtheme/views/discussion

grep is your friend.

• Great suggestion, thank you ! I've applied them ! Is it because of some auto-update that you suggest this ?

I'm pretty new to Vanilla, have worked with Wordpress and phpBB the most and I'm charmed by this software, but I'm pretty new to the inner workings of it.

• no but it is goo practice not to edit to the core. These file are easily copied over.

grep is your friend.

• x00 said:
    do not edit these file directly. They will be overwritten. instead copy them to your views

you should use this structure yourtheme/views/discussion and yourtheme/views/discussion

Whoops, you're absolutely right! It's something for the documentation team too.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

UnderDog said:

x00 said:
    do not edit these file directly. They will be overwritten. instead copy them to your views

Whoops, you're absolutely right! It's something for the documentation team too.

http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Basic_Concepts_of_Customizing