Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Changing the url/title that appears for my website on a google search?

edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I wasn't sure if this was something that occurs as a result of vanilla forums or my hosting, but I was hoping you guys might be able to shed some light on how it works.

Currently when you search for my website it displays "Sign In -" followed by my website name. On top of that, the default redirect is /categories. How can I change this/these? I'd just like it to go to my main page and not display "Sign In" (my site does not allow registrations as it is completely anonymous).

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

Google uses it's own algorithm to choose your title. Make sure you are browsing your site as a guest to see what google sees.

What I recommend though is going to that page and look for a "Title" tag in your page source. Google usually uses this.

If you are up for it you can also register your site with webmaster tools and see your site as google does.

Answers

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

Google uses it's own algorithm to choose your title. Make sure you are browsing your site as a guest to see what google sees.

What I recommend though is going to that page and look for a "Title" tag in your page source. Google usually uses this.

If you are up for it you can also register your site with webmaster tools and see your site as google does.

• Options

Great, thanks!