Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Wordpress comment as Vanilla Member

aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I recently upgraded vanilla plugin for wordpress and found that it supported replacement of wordpress comment as vanilla comment.

I loved this feature and was waiting for it for so long. But now, it has come I have my doubts.

A. the discouragement user probably has to faces register with the site to post a comment. How about posting anonymously.

B. Is the system capable of exporting comments and then import them into another commenting engine, like Intense Debate or Disqus.

C.Are they better than Facebook Comments?

D. Moderation?

E. Benefits of Akismet?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

B and C both require registration too.

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

@422 for B - They provide option to post comment with name and email address which is nearly same as being anonymous.

for C - Everyone is on facebook now a days. No registration required.

• 422422 Developer MVP

So how come u cant use oauth ?

@422 sorry, I didn't get you.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Oauth openid registration, if they are logged into fb and goto your ite. Surely they can just join, carry that over to wormpress and your in.

• 422422 Developer MVP

ite = site , edit functions missing.*

but then you are forcing them to join the forum, isnt it?

• 422422 Developer MVP

Isnt that the object lol

Forcing users is never a good thing. They would rather now comment than register.

Also what about the SEO. Once you post a comment on blog with vanilla forum, a new thread with same title gets formed which is empty except comment.

So you end up having 2 same title pages on same domain.

Bad bad really bad SEO strategy.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Are you sure you know what you're talking about with your SEO?

@Todd though I am not an SEO expert, but having same titles on 2 different pages will confuse Google on which page to show in search results when there is good content on both the pages.

For example, this page forum.gtricks.com/discussion/280/awesome-new-tab-page-puts-windows-metro-ui-in-chrome has same title to the page it is linking.

And since you have participated in the discussion, can you please answer other questions especially the moderation and exporting part?

• Aery, can you please explain how did you replace the comment box by vanilla comment box?

I am not finding the documentation on that.

Thanks

@rodrigonp Its in new vanilla plugin for wordpress. But I advice not to use it as it will create complications.

Can anyone please explain me where I am wrong at this -

having same titles on 2 different pages will confuse Google and dilute search rankings

For example, this page http://forum.gtricks.com/discussion/280/awesome-new-tab-page-puts-windows-metro-ui-in-chrome has same title to the page it is linking.