Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Limit Description By Number Of Characters

edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I see that Vanilla doesn't want to break the description (meta tag), so after a certain number of characters it looks for the first 'period', and marks the text as description.

But I would like to set it this way - - show 160 characters of text followed by '...' For example, like this:

I see that Vanilla doesn't want to break the description, so after a certain number of characters it looks for the first 'period', and marks the text as descri...

How do I do that?

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

I posted this the other day, want me to give you the code?

Search google for truncate.js

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited March 2012

[ removed , not needed by user ]

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited March 2012

[ removed , not needed by user ]

• @422 : Thanks a lot for trying to help. But I was talking about the 'description' meta tag. i.e.

<meta name="description" property="og:description" content="The web page's description goes here." />

And I don't think it's a good idea to generate that (meta tags) with JavaScript/jQuery even if it's at all possible. Any PHP help please?

• 422422 Developer MVP

where did you say the meta description tag in your initial post ?

"
    This META tag should contain 150 characters or less, and like the title META tag, your description should be relevant to the web page.
    "

Basic SEO

• @422 : Sorry about that. I didn't realize that it could be understood the other way.

Coming to the point, okay, then I want my meta description's content like this: 147 characters followed by...

How do i do that?

• 422422 Developer MVP

Why would you add ... for though ? its a meta tag.

• edited March 2012

I meant like this:

<meta name="description" property="og:description" content="The web page's description goes here..." />

EDIT: Okay, I get your point. How do I do it without that at least? :)

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited March 2012

On Dynamic metas ? or what ??

Ive never found vanilla that good with Metas.

You could use php.

And create a comprehensive meta file ( dynamic )

See: http://webuyscrap.com.au

We are running a dynamic metas system on this site for the client at the moment, it needs tweaking but we are running other tests to see how it performs on a la google.

If your description tags are pulled directly from forum pages, then handling it shouldnt be too complex.

However OG ( is generally for facebook ) so the use of dynamic content in this tag is easy to control, because ... it generally is user defined

• edited March 2012

Vanilla 2.1a automatically creates meta tags. It's just that I don't like how the description meta tag content is generated.

Some descriptions are short, some are fine. The PHP used looks for the first 'period' ( . ) after a certain number of characters and generates a description with that text. I want to alter it so that the description is simply 150 characters.

PS: I don't know PHP. If I did, I wouldn't be here. :(

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited March 2012

Ok im on old vanilla version, i should upgrade huh

..edit ? 2.1 ?.

• edited March 2012

@422 : Yes. I'm running the unstable release. Reporting issues, and fixing some. :) It isn't too unstable IMO, compared to v2.0.18.4.