Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Make a greater Usability

edited March 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Vanilla is amazing. I have a site which credo is: easy to use, clean-style and great usability. So there is no doubt that Vanilla is the perfect forum for it. To increase the usability I have a suggestion. Is it possible to show the categories not in a pull down menu, but in a list on the left side. This would increase the usability. That was the biggest problem when I first saw the forum. Best regards Nikolic Vladimir

Comments

• That would be a cool extension.
  • Thanks Bergamot. You see this was the only thing that distracted me. After a while I get used to it, but I am sure a lot of users when they hit the site the first time they think: "What is this where can I start my journey on this forum, what categories do they have.." It is important to give the users the security to know where they are right now, and what possibilities a site has to give. So my wish to Mark or any clever programmer: make an extension or build it in 1.0 Best regards Nikolic Vladimir
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    The category dropdown is an extension itself. It would be really really easy for anyone to copy that extension and turn it into a clickable list instead. I've got bigger fish to fry at the moment...
  • Did I understand you right: the category dropdown extension is already in the standard lussumo forum. Can you give a short explain how to turn it into a clickable list. Thanks
  • Yeah, as you can see from the svn (if you're still on 0.9.2.6 then you'll be able to find a category jumper php file in your extensions dir but if you're going to make a new extension it's probably best ensuring it'l be compatible with v1), the category jumper code is here: http://lussumo.com/svn/vanilla/trunk/extensions/CategoryJumper/default.php If you grab that file if you have some reasonable php knowledge you can soon understand how to turn it into a list not a drop down. I was about to do it till i realised anything i did wouldnt be xhtml compliant and whatnot so someone would have to end up rewriting it anyway :(
  • Thank you minisweeper
This discussion has been closed.