Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Category page as front page?

edited April 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I've been searching through the forums here and can't find an answer to this: is there any way to easily (and not using mod_rewrite/.htaccess) make the first page someone sees when visiting my Vanilla forum be the Category page? The current address for the forum I'm working with is http://www.websitenamehere.com/forum/ (which is a subfolder of the main site I'm integrating Vanilla with). I know that I could just link to /forum/categories.php on the main site, but if there's some setting or hack somewhere that would make the Categories page come up when someone goes to /forum/, that would make my day. Thanks in advance. MJ

Comments

• I do believe that this is either a personal account option, or an application global setting.
  • ..in v1?
  • I could have sworn that this was an obvious option before. Have we lost this setting in the transition somewhere, mini? I do remember being asked (however, very long ago) how I wish to view the forum: ie categories or discussions. I think once you select, I don't remember how you can go back :/
  • It is in version 1, Mark said so before, and I'd assume it would be a global setting.
  • Um. I dont think so lech? This one pops up quite often and i'm fairly sure the response has always been 'not possible till v1'? Unless i've missed something and tons of people have gone away upset cause of me :D
  • BenBen
    edited April 2006
    The categories as default is more difficult. It's been so long since I've worked with 0.9.2 that I can't remember if or how it is possible. All I can tell you is that in the new version coming out soon, you can do it as an admin setting. Maybe someone else can field this one for 0.9.2 users. - Mark
    But this thread has a workaround, it needs you to edit the index.php though.
    http://lussumo.com/community/discussion/1334/set-categories-as-homepage-starting-point-frontpage-/
  • Thanks for your help, guys! I'll take a look at the hack and see if it's worth implementing. I may just link to /forum/categories.php until v1 comes out with the frontpage toggle in the admin. Off topic: I can't wait until the XHTML/CSS markup for Vanilla is nailed down. Once it is, I'll most definitely be contributing some styles to the list of those already available.
This discussion has been closed.