Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Question about layout

acctmanacctman New
edited April 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Is it possible or has anyone created a template that doesn't use the left side menu so pretty much your just have the main community section with the tabs and probably a 5th new tab that has all the discussion filter, options on it. I just want a compact community for my site.

Comments

• Options
    There's an extension which allows you to hide the sidebar with a javascript. You can probably modify this to your own needs.
  • Options
    It is possible, but there are no themes that I know of that do it.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    The main problem is that the side panel is a major component of the system. By removing it you will have to restructure a lot of the application so you can still perform essential tasks, and you'll completely screw yourself for new extensions that require panel elements.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited April 2006
    That being said, I definitely want to try to make a theme like that when Vanilla 1 comes out :)
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Yeah, but of the stuff in the side panel, the only truly vital one is the "start a new discussion" link, which isn't even a real panel item. You could stick that anywhere.
  • Options
    I made a theme sort of like that. It had all the panel links along the top, and the create a new discussion button by the 'signed on as...' text. Wasn't that good though, and there was a bug with Firefox <1.5 that made comments randomly spaceed unless you reloaded the page.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    To be quite honest, I rarely if ever use the sidebar. Only when I need to go back to look at something or look at a saved search do I dig into it. I suppose that if someone really wanted, they could use the one extension that gives you an extra tab, and toss all the sidebar items neatly into that tab. Only leaving a few of the essential sidebar elements tagged with every vanilla page. Things to keep would be : Bookmark > start new discussion and legend. I wonder if removing it entirely would speed things up though.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    mark, minivanilli appears to not have a siderbar, right? where did you hide all the sidebar components?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    First of all, the sidebar is absolutely essential: all of the forms on the settings and account tabs are reached via the sidebar. I had removed it in MiniVanilli, and I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to get past the problem. To make it the way I wanted to, I was going to have to really change the way those other pages were handled and it was going to severely limit the extensibility of the theme. I'm still thinking about the best way to handle it...
  • Options
    i'd like to see minivanilli WITH the sidebar. actually, if you were going to get rid of it, i think it would be awesome if you had a version with/without the sidebar. then again, you're the one working on it...those are just my simple dreams.
  • Options
    First of all, the sidebar is absolutely essential: all of the forms on the settings and account tabs are reached via the sidebar.
    Oh yeah; I forgot about that stuff.

Still, there should be a way to render the panel in another, non-sidebar form.
  • Options
    shouldn't be too hard to put those sidebar links somewhere in the content area on the account/settings pages, right?
  • Options
    can MiniVanilli be downloaded?
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    If you have an SVN client, you can export old revisions of vanilla, which include it.

Of course, it doesn't work, so it's mainly useful to look through the source code.
This discussion has been closed.