Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Embedding Vanilla Forums in a WordPress Multisite multilingual website

I like Vanilla Forums a lot and I am trying to embed it in my development multilingual website (which is a WordPress Multisite) but, honestly, it seems way over my skills level.
So far I have been able to create a self hosted multilingual Vanilla forum (using the Multilingual plugin) and to embed it in a single WebPress multilingual website. It works but I am not satisfied because, for example, there are two language selectors, one for WordPress and one for Vanilla, and that looks very confusing for the user.
On the other hand, if I use the multisite WebPress multilingual website I do not know how to link Vanilla to the various sites through the Remote Url to Forum. The only solution I can think of is to create as many forums as the number of my sites/languages and embed each one in the corrsponding site of my WordPress Multisite, but then the forums would be totally unrelated because topics and discussions are not going to be translated.
Is there anyone who has embedded Vanilla Forums in WordPress Multisite websites?
I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, hints...
Thank you.

Comments

• Hi Luca

I have no suggestions, but I am about to embark on exactly the same thing. So maybe we can support each other on this multilingual forum journey!

Cheers

Robyn

Www.icoachacdemy.com

• 422422 Developer MVP

@icoach you must have typed that using an iPad?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Hi Robyn,
    yes, I'd be glad to share all the findings with you.
    Unfortunately for us, it seems that not so many people needed/wanted to do the same thing and, from my little experience, this means that it is going to require solid programming skills and extensive knowledge of WordPress and Vanilla... I don't know about you but I am not a web developer.
    Anyway, let's keep in touch.
    Cheers

• 422 said:

Umm yes I think I did. And I am now too. How can you tell?

Robyn

• lucabarbetti said:
    Hi Robyn,
    yes, I'd be glad to share all the findings with you.
    Unfortunately for us, it seems that not so many people needed/wanted to do the same thing and, from my little experience, this means that it is going to require solid programming skills and extensive knowledge of WordPress and Vanilla... I don't know about you but I am not a web developer.
    Anyway, let's keep in touch.
    Cheers

Hi luca

Are you going with the self hosted version of Vanilla? If so, yes it's does sound like thisnisna tricky one to pull off. I am going with the hosted version (which means I get support for anything trickynlol) and - at this stage I am thinking of separate forums for each language with one main global forum for all languages.

So not much help to you I'm afraid - but I'll keep my eyes and ears out and if I come across anything of use I'll let you know.

What type of community are you hosting?

Cheers

Robyn

• Hi Robyn,

First of all I've got to give it up for your beatiful website and congratulate you, you've done a heck of job!

I guess that 422 said that because of the capitalization after each return, which is (almost) always a desirable thing with only few exceptions as in Www... :)

Yes, I am going with the self hosted Vanilla because I don't have the resources to do otherwise.

I'm trying to build a website with a multilangual forum for all the people who spent their vacation at my villa, so that they can, if they want to, exchange their italian experiences. It's not going to be a large community by any extent but they come from all the world (mostly North America and Western Europe).

My idea is very similar to yours and I would like to get this user's experience: let's say a french speaker user enter the website, she selects or is redirected upon browser language guessing to the french subsite, which embeds or is connected to the french forum. When she visits the forum she actually enters the french forum where she should find a selector french/all languages, that selector would give her the possibility to view also all the other languages while still remaining in or connected to the french subsite (this means that when she has finished with the forum and hits another menu item in order to visit a different part of the website, she goes to the corresponding page in the french subsite and not the corresponding page of the main site which, in my case, would be the english site).
    I just hope that my weak english renders at least the big picture of what I'd like to accomplish with Vanilla and WordPress Multisite... :)

Cheers,

Luca

• 422422 Developer MVP

icoach said:

422 said:

Umm yes I think I did. And I am now too. How can you tell?

Robyn

when you did www. The first w was capitalised ;) happens me all the time

There was an error rendering this rich post.