Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Forum doesn't embed in wordpress page. But comments and widgets work. Help?

13»

Answers

• Options

hmm. what would that mean? Would you like the login credentials to my Vanilla site and Wordpress site?

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Im thinking in the embed cde, you my have to implicitly define the pathto embed.js

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Again thanks for your continued support, despite the similarity between this whole experience and the banging of one's head against a wall

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Can you create custom page ( based off your theme ) i see its a wp theme.

If you can, then I would manually put vanilla into that custom page using embed format, rather than a plugin.

• Options
    edited May 2012

Okay, so I think I've got it:

A) I was being a nOoB (truly a brand new user) and didn't even have the plugin enabled in the menu.

Slash, part of why I was a noob is because these instructions weren't very good:

http://vanillaforums.com/blog/help/how-to-integrate-vanilla-wordpress-plugins-and-widgets/

because they said right off the bat

On the left Menu Panel under “Addons” click on “ Vanilla”.

which I didn't see. So I saw they were a Jan 2011 and was like, hmm. must be old. It's noobful but not everybody's going to know to go activate the plugin first,

**BUT, even after I enabled it it didn't work. **

Because the plugin generates the wrong embed code.

Here's what it generated:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://connectedfamilies.org/forums/js/embed.js"></script>

Here's what was actually needed (which can be found in the Vanilla dashboard)

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://connectedfamilies.org/forums/plugins/embedvanilla/remote.js"></script>

Anyway, sorry to waste so much of our time with the noobfulness of not knowing I needed to activate a plugin on the Vanilla side.

Hopefully there's still some "value added" in terms of takeaways for the Vanilla team:

-- Add "ACTIVATE THE VANILLA PLUGIN" at the front of the instructions

-- Update the plugin to generate the right code at launch.

-- Figure out why the plugin is generating multiple "discussions" pages (discussions, discussions-2, discussions-3) and make it stop, cuz it's annoying and an uglier URL. (I can't even switch it back to "discussions" -- i actually can't switch it to any existing page... I have to "assign" it to a nonexistent page, which it then creates) For this, I would recommend doing like buddypress does and assign the forums to an existing page via dropdowns, rather than spawning all these extra (and duplicate) pages.

I appreciate your software and your help and I respect your time so I hope these value-added elements can at least somewhat make up for your lost time of head-banging-against-wall.

Thanks much,

Daniel

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

Goodonya.

Hopefully @underdog will see this and raise a bug report with the team, and the instructions can be updated.

Glad your sorted

• Options

Sorry, I don't see opportunities to raize bug reports, I put a link to 'add new bug report' in my Signature for a reason.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Apologies mate.

• Options

Noworries, it's all good. Everyone turn in their own bug reports though :-)