Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Is it possible to hide more than one category?

edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

If I repeat the line in config.php, it only hides the last category specified.

Best Answers

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

what, you don't have the pro version? (just kidding :)

I can try to modify the program to take a few categories to hide - provided you want it.

Let me know - if you will actually use it or you are just wondering?, before I spend the time.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

oops!

try version 1.1.1

p.s. Do you have stray cats backstage?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

what, you don't have the pro version? (just kidding :)

I can try to modify the program to take a few categories to hide - provided you want it.

Let me know - if you will actually use it or you are just wondering?, before I spend the time.

• Options
    fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭

Good to know, I assumed that was already possible. I can imagine this being useful as well. I am already using this plugin (Thanks btw:) to hide one category and planned on maybe(!) adding a second one soon. But i am still hoping to find another solution for my problem, than hiding the whole category

• Options

If you could add the functionality, it would be great. I will actually use it.

• Options

fh111 said:
    Good to know, I assumed that was already possible. I can imagine this being useful as well. I am already using this plugin (Thanks btw:) to hide one category and planned on maybe(!) adding a second one soon. But i am still hoping to find another solution for my problem, than hiding the whole category>

the problem - Is this the discussion deal you wanted or something else.

tork said:
    If you could add the functionality, it would be great. I will actually use it.

without spending a whole lot of time on it, I'll put in the ability to hide 4 categories. Ideally it should list all your categories and give you a checkmark to hide - that will be a later version which may or may not be implemented (maybe in the pro version:).

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012

@tork and @fh111

Wow - this plugin is popular - two people use it :).

Give the new version 1.1 a try and let me know if it works for you.

I added settings menu, so you don't have to manually change config.php

• Options

Thanks so much, that's awesome.

I went ahead and installed it, and it's working, but also adds a line of text above every discussion in the 'All Discussions' view. The second (and last) category I'm hiding is called PbF Backstage. Above the first discussion in the 'All Discussions' view is the following line of text:

cats are - pbf-backstage cats are - pbf-backstage cats are - pbf-backstage

Above each following discussion is the following line:

cats are - pbf-backstage

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

oops!

try version 1.1.1

p.s. Do you have stray cats backstage?

• Options

Works like a charm! Thanks!

p.s. Nope, all the cats are downstairs.

• Options

glad you liked it.

• Options
    fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭
    edited May 2012

peregrine said:

yes, exactly. i already had a few users complain about the abundance of discussions in the discussions overview that they are not interested in and they are not sinking because those discussions are sort of 'games' that some users like to play when they are bored.

so let's say half the users don;t want them in the list and the other half does. so i don't think it is ideal to hide the whole category, that would be unfair for the users that participate in these games .. best option would be an ignore button or so for each discussion and a tabLink to show the ignored discussions

i'll still update to the most recent version of your plugin because i'm pretty sure that it'll be useful at some point.

• Options

fh111 said:

peregrine said:

yes, exactly. i already had a few users complain about the abundance of discussions in the discussions overview that they are not interested in and they are not sinking because those discussions are sort of 'games' that some users like to play when they are bored.

hmmm.