Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

User Profile and Activity Stream are leading to confusion

brainolutionbrainolution ✭✭
edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Tomorrow my forum will be completing 2 months running Vanilla. While I have only about 70 members on the forum, I'm finding a common problem.

New users, instead of starting a new discussion, post discussions on their Profile page or Activity page, thinking that the messages would be visible to everyone. Since most people won't visit their profile page, or activity stream, the messages go un-noticed. When the users don't get a response they feel dejected. I already had at least 5 such instances.

If 5 out of 70 users got confused, then it's surely a problem that I need to address. Personally I also don't understand the point of allowing messages on the Activity page.

I'm interested to hear others' experience on this. Have you faced the same issues? If yes, how have you overcome those issues?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Often times, an announcement explaining how and what to do helps.

I believe you can disable the messages on the activity page if you really wanted to, but not sure.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

I had this problem very early on. More frequently i see people posting clearly confidential messages on someones profile, thinking its a private message