Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Always show "Start a New Discussion" button, even for guests?

edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Is this too broad a question? I don't have anything else to say except for asking the question!

Best Answer

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

Option 1

I mean changing the code and adding to it ...

Check if user is logged in and display the button (normally you wouldn't see it - correct). If a user is logged in they wouldn't see it. So you are not changing the original Start New discussion code - just merely adding the button if no one is logged in (guest status).

If not logged in
    display Start New discussion - that links to signin

essentially what you said you wanted.

If you are not up for programming a change.

Option 2

The alternative and second option

You could download the anonymouse plugin - it allows people to post if they are not members - they merely have to respond to a captcha code (personally I find it easier to log in), but some users don't want to be members and that gives them the option to post.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• guests are defined as users who can only view. Anyone who is not logged in is considered a guest. Try the anonymouse plugin if you want people to post messages without becoming members,

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrine said:
    guests are defined as users who can only view. Anyone who is not logged in is considered a guest. Try the anonymouse plugin if you want people to post messages without becoming members,

Hi peregrine,

Thanks for your answer! I realize now that it was not clear what I was asking. I would actually like to show the button, but not allow the user to post. He or she would be brought to the sign in/ register page upon clicking the "Start a New Discussion" button.

My aim is to encourage participation in the forum this way.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012

Best I can do for you...

You have to experiment....

apparently this is the code for the new discussion button:

echo Anchor(T('Start a New Discussion'), '/post/discussion'.(array_key_exists('CategoryID', $Data) ? '/'.$Data['CategoryID'] : ''), 'BigButton NewDiscussion');

this is the signin destination...
    http://localhost/vanilla/entry/signin?Target=discussions

perhaps if you merged them somewhere - you might get what you want.

• I think I understand you. If I understand correctly, your solution overlooks the fact that the button is not displayed for guests. Do you mean to use that anonymouse plugin to enable displaying of the "Start a New Discussion" button for guests? The problem here would be that if I changed this code —

echo Anchor(T('Start a New Discussion'), '/post/discussion'.(array_key_exists('CategoryID', $Data) ? '/'.$Data['CategoryID'] : ''), 'BigButton NewDiscussion');

— then I would be changing it for the logged in users as well, no?

Do you follow me? Thanks for the info. (I'm brand new with Vanilla and absolutely loving learning it:))

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

Option 1

Check if user is logged in and display the button (normally you wouldn't see it - correct). If a user is logged in they wouldn't see it. So you are not changing the original Start New discussion code - just merely adding the button if no one is logged in (guest status).

If not logged in

essentially what you said you wanted.

If you are not up for programming a change.

Option 2

The alternative and second option

You could download the anonymouse plugin - it allows people to post if they are not members - they merely have to respond to a captcha code (personally I find it easier to log in), but some users don't want to be members and that gives them the option to post.

• edited May 2012

I might actually try the anonymouse plugin in order to encourage registrations in the early days. Thanks for the information. I'll be back to implement option 1 later, and hopefully this is helpful for others who may want the same functionality!

edit: On second thought, I'm going to try Option 1, as suggested, and I'll get back with my results. Like I said, I'm a complete newbie so we'll see how long it takes me to figure it all out.

• peregrine said:
    Option 1

If not logged in

I've been messing around with /vanilla/applications/vanilla/views/modules/newdiscussion.php and trying to write some code that identifies guests. However I just realized that newdiscussion.php doesn't seem to even get called if the user is a guest, so there's no point in editing it until I can tell Vanilla to call that file for guests also. That's where I'm at. Appreciate it if you had any thoughts on direction from here. I'll follow up if I find out where to go from here.

• Answer

This is literally the easiest solution.

1. Open /vanilla/applications/vanilla/modules/class.newdiscussionmodule.php
    2. Comment out line 18: if ($HasPermission)

So now Vanilla won't check if the user has permissions to see the "Start a New Discussion" button; it'll just display it no matter what. And if a guest clicks that button he's brought to the Sign in page.

Unfortunately I already selected peregrine's option as the answer and I can't revoke that, but this is the solution that works for me. Wouldn't have gotten here without your support, peregrine, cheers!

• edited May 2012

In addition to above, the following change is possible to make the "Start a New Discussion" go directly to the Register page for Guests. However, it's probably not a good practice to implement this, because logged-out users would be brought to the register page upon clicking the button, and they wouldn't be able to sign in from that page.

Change /vanilla/applications/vanilla/views/modules/newdiscussion.php to the following:

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();

if (Gdn::Session()->CheckPermission('Vanilla.Comments.Add', TRUE, 'Category', $CategoryID)) {
     echo Anchor(T('Ask a Question'), '/post/discussion'.(array_key_exists('CategoryID', $Data) ? '/'.$Data['CategoryID'] : ''), 'BigButton NewDiscussion');
    }
    else {
     echo Anchor(T('Ask a Question'), '/entry/register'.(array_key_exists('CategoryID', $Data) ? '/'.$Data['CategoryID'] : ''), 'BigButton NewDiscussion');
    }