Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Does the Embed option allow for specific discussion topic targetting?

XrnwXrnw New
edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi,

First of all I'm not sure if this only pertains to the paid options or not:

Does the forum embed option allow me to embed specific forum topics on a page? For example, for my blue pet pacifier page, can I embed my forum topic "Blue Pet Pacifier Product Discussion"

Or does the embed feature just show the entire forum on a page? If this is the case, what will the initial page default to?

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

So you allow people who dont register at your shop to buy things?

Hmm.. Perhaps pay @x00 to make you a magento / vanilla SSO

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• Download a copy, install it, and try all the features - it will save you the time of asking the questions and waiting for a response.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• My tech literacy is rather low for an ecommerce site owner; if I installed this I would have to call in my programmer which costs money. Thanks anyways, hope someone can chime in with an answer

• you can define where your forum startup page is, in the dashboard - Home Page setting.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• XrnwXrnw New
    edited May 2012

Thanks; am I able to embed specific topic pages across my site? I want it like this:

Blue widget product page <-- Blue widget discussion topic embedded on this page

Green widget product page <-- Green widget discussion topic embedded on this page

Red widget product page <-- Red widget discussion topic embedded on this page

• I suppose you would have to "program" that in, unless you created multiple forums on your site. In short, I don't know - but I don't think you could do that without alot of gyrations.

• 422422 Developer MVP

As peregrine said.

Create forum.

Create categories. Grab the category url

Plonk that url as a link anywhere within main site.

• XrnwXrnw New
    edited May 2012

That sounds like it would work, thanks. I just need to find a way to embed it. Ideally users could also comment without registering (much like on a wordpress blog)

• 422422 Developer MVP

Vanilla registration takes 1 minute.

Cleaning spam, trolls and nigerian scammers will take hours for non registered forum commenting.

• From a customer activation standpoint it may be worth the extra hassle to lower the registration burden. People don't like to have to sign up for things. I think making the registration look like commenting fields would be an effective solution

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓

So you allow people who dont register at your shop to buy things?

Hmm.. Perhaps pay @x00 to make you a magento / vanilla SSO

• Yes people can checkout as guests. Also, much of my forum/blog traffic is likely to be a visitor (no purchases yet). the SSO integration is still very important though.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Factor also if you allow anyone to post, then how can you effectively police your forum.?