Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Plugin to extend user data

edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I would like to extend the available information about users. How do I go about doing this in the best way when it comes to using the event callbacks?

I thought I could use some of the events in the UserModel but it seems I can't get any of the to fire. Which events are best used when extending the user data?

Any pointers would be helpful, if there's a manual page with listings of events I wouldn't mind looking at it but I can't seem to find one.

Best regards

Answers

• x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2012

You might want to look at MyProfile plugin.

Basically the UserTable if you add columns to the User then it will be carried with the $User object, however in instance where it is not you can always Gdn::UserModel->GetID($UserID);, which will return a cached version when available, to ensure there is not excessive querying.

However even better if you are going to add a lot of data is to use the UserMeta table, it is designed for key=>value meta, and work in much the same way that wordpress handles meta.

grep is your friend.