Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Comments showing < br / > tags under certain conditions*

edited May 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

First off, I'm using version 2.0.18.4 with the default theme as the admin.

So, I noticed something odd today when looking at a comment.

If someone types as a comment:

"Something is <= something else.

Yadda, yadda, yadda..."

(note that after the word 'else.' the return key was hit twice to create a space between sentences)

The output, when the comment is submitted to the forum, turns out like this:
"Something is <= something else.< br / >

Yadda, yadda, yadda..."

No matter how many times the return key is hit after the word else, it will always have that one < br / > tag after it.

The culprit in this problem seems to be the "<=" part. If it is written as "< =" (with a space between the characters) the < br / > tag doesn't show up. But without the space, the < br / > tag will always show up at the end of a sentence containing those two characters next to one another.

So, basically I'd like to know how to fix this so that it doesn't happen. I mean, it's not like people will be typing "<=" all that much, but it's one of those things that now that I know there is something a little off, it's going to bug me. And since it's the default theme, it would be good to iron out little things like that for future releases.

Also, before typing this question, I tested the whole "<=" on this question forum and no < br / > tags appeared. So, I'm assuming it's something with the theme I'm using.

Thanks for any help on this matter!

Best Answer

• x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

I can confirm the issue. It is HtmlLawed whether it a bug is a question of opinion. you could say Htmllawed is doing it job, by striping to parsing content, in a fast efficient way.

you could always type

Something is &lt;= something else.

Yadda, yadda, yadda..

The reason why it is not an issue on this forum is Markdown is the primary formatter.

grep is your friend.

Answers

• Are you using the tinyMCE wysiwyg editor?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• No, I'm currently just using the default editor.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2012 Answer ✓

I can confirm the issue. It is HtmlLawed whether it a bug is a question of opinion. you could say Htmllawed is doing it job, by striping to parsing content, in a fast efficient way.

you could always type

Something is &lt;= something else.

Yadda, yadda, yadda..

The reason why it is not an issue on this forum is Markdown is the primary formatter.

grep is your friend.

• Decided to switch over to Markdown as my primary formatter. Thanks for bringing all of that to my attention!

Cheers!