Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Main Menu and things.

2»

Answers

• Options

Not entended to offend anyone here. Sorry fi you misunderstood my message. not good with my english! I just wanted to use the Vanilla style template with the current code plus add a menu. SO SORRY if i offended anyone here, im not familiar with the structure of a template, i read all but im using a php way not an smarty way...

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

smarty templates mirror php templates.

so for users using smarty its default.master.tpl
    for php users its default.master.php

If you wish to fiddle with code, copy across from core folders. To your theme folder, keeping hierarchy same.
    If you wish to edit a file, then edit the .php files. In this instance default.master.php

If you work on a theme folder ( editing .php files ) then worse case scenario is you bugger up the files within that theme, but not your entire forum.

So its safe trusted clean and helps you learn.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    edited June 2012

@peregrine hey man here's the link of the plugin i used on my site : http://vanillaforums.org/addon/categories2menu-plugin

hope this helps ... i see overwhelming response on this thread can someone please help me with my problem ?>T_T http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20438/random-url-being-generated-by-vanilla#latest

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

@freeeeemind

the plugin works, nice find

@barrahome if you install http://vanillaforums.org/addon/categories2menu-plugin

use the vanilla default theme to test or embed-friendly - it definitely works!

and then modify the code to reflect this - you should be able to see how it works.
    if this doesn't help you - you've got some studying to do! and don't blame the documentation - because this is a cut and paste experience.

replace lines 73-112 with this - and set your links and title that you want/

// Add the jQuery JavaScript to the page
        $Sender->Head->AddString($Cat2MenuJQuerySource);

if ($Sender->Menu) {

// Build the first item
        $Sender->Menu->AddLink('one', "Heading-One",'/categories/', FALSE);
        //  Build the secondary Menu for first item
        $Sender->Menu->AddLink('one', "link one A", '/categories/a1', FALSE);
        $Sender->Menu->AddLink('one', "link one B", '/categories/a2', FALSE);   
        $Sender->Menu->AddLink('one', "link one C", '/categories/a3', FALSE);       

// Build the second item
     $Sender->Menu->AddLink('one', "Heading-Two",'/categories/', FALSE);
        //  Build the secondary Menu for first item
       $Sender->Menu->AddLink('two', "link two A", '/categories/b1', FALSE);
       $Sender->Menu->AddLink('two', "link two B", '/categories/b2', FALSE);    
       $Sender->Menu->AddLink('two', "link two C", '/categories/b3', FALSE);        
           }            
        }

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

422 and whu606 -
    You ever feel like you're a comedian and you are playing before a tough crowd and you can't get a laugh. - not even a like in the house let alone an accept.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

im not sure where's this headed im sure the gentleman is just asking for this: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/categories2menu-plugin

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Always @peregrine , im kinda going off the forums. Feels desolate and barren of late.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

freeeeemind said:
    im not sure where's this headed im sure the gentleman is just asking for this: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/categories2menu-plugin>

barrahome said:
    Im lost on this, lack of documentation for create a simple menu...>

well freee....mind - I'm lost on this, lack of explanation when asking a simple question. When a person asks a somewhat ambiguous question without laying out the exact structure of what they want, we will always be at a loss at providing the answer, won't we. And I am not so sure all he wants is to wrap the categories in a menu, other wise one would have to believe he would have said that. Unfortunately there will never be enough documentation for an ambiguous question.

422 said:
    Always @peregrine , im kinda going off the forums. Feels desolate and barren of late.>

I'm also going to take a break I hope.

Hasta luego - mucho luego.

• Options

I dont want to mod category's i want to arrange the ENTIRE menu. For example a drop down for the USER, where he has the logout, profile, messages, then other for add main menu stuff and pages wich i dont yet got them done. But this is lot of reading wich i will start to do now. I dont like smarty, is like slow me down, plain php will always be faster.

• Options

@barrahome , @peregrine has explained it to you on peregrine's Posts: 868 , im not sure what are you looking for still. you might want to study smarty a little it's very easy once you get the fundamentals and understood the flow..

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@peregrine

Indeed.

I think a lot of the time it is people posting who don't really get that this is a community forum, and that they are asking questions of other users, not the developers.

There is, as @barrahome mentions, also the issue that a number of posters are writing in what is not their first language.

I admire your patience (and that of @422).

It would be a shame if either of you chose not to offer help in the future.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

whu606 said:
    @peregrine

Indeed.

I think a lot of the time it is people posting who don't really get that this is a community forum, and that they are asking questions of other users, not the developers.>

I don't know about you guys - but I never heard of css, or php, or jquery before last year let alone vanilla - so I am far from a developer. I'm just trying to learn like everybody else.

There is, as @barrahome mentions, also the issue that a number of posters are writing in what is not their first language.

Is it too difficult for users to post a question in english AND within the same post repeat in
    their native language, if they are not adept in writing in english.

sorry @whu606 - I can't buy the excuse that english is not the primary language, I think the bigger problem is "the inability to ask a precise question and provide details" (no matter what the language be it esperanto, pig-latin or gobbleddy-gook").