Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Feed Discussion Call to Gdn::PluginManager()->GetPluginInstance('MinionPlugin'); Failing

hbfhbf MVP
edited June 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Does anyone have any insight into the minionplugin referenced in this line from feed discussions? I cant find any reference to minion anywhere else in my vanilla install or on this site. but it's throwing an error since it's trying to load a plugin that does not exist.

$Minion = Gdn::PluginManager()->GetPluginInstance('MinionPlugin');

Application: Vanilla

Application Version: 2.0.18.4

PHP Version: 5.2.17
Operating System: WINNT
Server Software: Apache/2.2.21 (Win32) PHP/5.2.17
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/536.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/19.0.1084.52 Safari/536.5
Request Uri: /plugin/feeddiscussions/checkfeeds
Controller: Gdn_PluginManager
Method: GetPluginInstance

Best Answer

Answers

• don't know - but maybe this will help

if you search google there are a few references minion

http://www.poststreamlive.com/Why_PSL.html

http://vanillaforums.com/discussion/680/import-rss-discussion

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

just taking swags (scientific wild-as* guesses) at this.

originally the plugin required version 2.1 or vanilla for plugin version 1.2 or the feed itself has an embedded minin plugin requirement.

the update to the most recent version 1.3 removes that requirement, but perhaps the minion is in vanilla 2.1

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• i updated to the latest version of the plugin. and i searched (as best i could figure out) git hub for minion and found nothing. (prior to posting the question)

• Analogy, I don't have flash installed so when viewing a web page that requires flash, my browser say install required plugin.

So does the feeddiscussions plugin get a feed that is posted with "minion" inside.

maybe x00 is in a phonebooth suiting up right now to rescue you, jimmy and lois lane.

• Yeah, I looked at the code. I have a pretty good idea of 'what' minion is there to do. It's a proxy for a user login so that you can define who is going to post the new discussions based on the feed info.

Given that the vanilla core team (owner of the feed discussions plugin) isn't jumping on this to give me any insight into where this minion plugin should have come from, why it's not there or even where I could go to get a copy of it.... I suppose I'll just have to hack the plugin to make it work.

I can not see how the plug could work for anyone else... Makes no sense to me.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

http://vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/2226/#Comment_2226

maybe you could pm Lincoln or mention @Lincoln to give some insights :).

• peregrine said:
    http://vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/2226/#Comment_2226

maybe you could pm Lincoln or mention @Lincoln to give some insights :).

well, that was a useful link. there actually may be enough of a hin for me to fix this thing properly.

oh, and i think we both just @'d him. anyway, I'd still love to know WTH minion plugin is supposed to come from and how ANYONE could install this plugin and have it work given that this dependency is neither listed nor available...

• hbf, Did any of the developers help with this?