Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Looking for a dedicated search engine like Lucene or Sphinx

OlivawOlivaw New
edited June 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Guys, I'm urgently looking for a ready to use dedicated search engine for Vanilla2. I'm available to pay the effort. Can anyone help me? Bests!

Best Answer

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭
    edited June 2012 Answer ✓

@Olivaw What is your time frame? I have built sphinx for exactly your type of setup.

I have most of the front end and install wizard complete. I think it is actually usable to some degree now. It is much more than just a search engine, however. Download here. I implemented a few other "widgets".

• Related Threads on the sidebar or beneath each discussion (example)
    • Hitbox
    • Related Threads on the main search (example)
    • Field autocomplete..think Stackoverflow when asking a question and how they match already post threads that match your question in real time(example : type in the box: test discussion)
    • Most Popular searches (coming)
    • Most popular indexed keywords (coming)
    • You can also apply many more filters such as tags, specific forum, author, view count, date, relevance, etc. (example)

I setup Sphinx to use a distributed index with 4 sources (index and main * 2).

I'll go through the wizard one more time when I get back home in a few hours just to verify the operation again.

Answers

• Hi @Olivaw,

what don't you like in Vanilla core search?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012

I'm available to pay the effort. Can anyone help me? Bests!

@mcu_hq may be your best bet

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/161955/#Comment_161955

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @johansonlocker, I have a 200k discussions and 5GB speedy growing database, Vanilla core search need a lot of minutes for an answer with too generic results, this on a local virtual machine 1 core 2Gb ram. I like to select one (of 20) specific forum category to query and some option to refine the query, just a minimal advanced search. Due I'm not a db guy this is a too strong effort for me.

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭
    edited June 2012 Answer ✓

@Olivaw What is your time frame? I have built sphinx for exactly your type of setup.

I have most of the front end and install wizard complete. I think it is actually usable to some degree now. It is much more than just a search engine, however. Download here. I implemented a few other "widgets".