Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

WallComment vs. AutoUpdate

lealea
edited June 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm sorry if you think this is a stupid question, but I just got a bug report from our client saying the when sharing something on /activity it's not set as current status of the user, whereas if you share something in /profile/activity it does. I checked in the code and they're saved with a different activity type.
So, why are they different?

Best Answers

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

Can you explain exactly what you mean? Examples and everything. Activity types too please. Vanilla version too please. Might be something for a bug report on gitHub.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

I think they should be different, yes. It's intended functionality. If I think logically, then /activity is the activity of the entire site (user joined, another user joined, someone changed profile picture, added an addon), so that's more general.
    When you look in the /profile/activity it's specific to 1 user, so more of what you already said : actually sharing what you think, what you're doing, etc.
    The /activity is also generated and I think the /profile/activity is more user - user messages, sharing thoughts, etc.

If you want something specific, maybe a plugin could be made of what you want and need.

• Options
    Answer ✓

Gonna say I have to agree with @lea here that saving both activities as the same type is a strongly expected behavior, if only because the whole activity-feed/profile/status-update model is so strongly patterned after Facebook. Posting a status at the top of the Facebook news feed is equivalent to posting it at the top of your profile.

I'd say that Facebook has enough clout, and Vanilla is patterned similarly-enough to Facebook that I would rather this behavior to act consistently.

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

There's 'personal-news' and there is 'site-news'. When there is 'site-news' it's posted in /activity (someone joined). Do you really want to see on facebook that another user just joined facebook? or do you want to see that someone 'liked' someone else? Don't think so.

Answers

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

Can you explain exactly what you mean? Examples and everything. Activity types too please. Vanilla version too please. Might be something for a bug report on gitHub.

• Options

sorry about not being very clear. so we use the latest vanilla version, 2.0.18.4.
    When you share a status or message or whatever that's called on /activity (entering something in the textarea and sharing) it is saved with type WallComment. When you share something in the activity tab of your profile (/profile/activity) it is saved as AboutUpdate and then used as your current status, i.e. it is shown in your profile above the tabs.
    I'm wondering why these two cases are different resp. if they should be different.
    I hope it's clearer now.

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

I think they should be different, yes. It's intended functionality. If I think logically, then /activity is the activity of the entire site (user joined, another user joined, someone changed profile picture, added an addon), so that's more general.
    When you look in the /profile/activity it's specific to 1 user, so more of what you already said : actually sharing what you think, what you're doing, etc.
    The /activity is also generated and I think the /profile/activity is more user - user messages, sharing thoughts, etc.

If you want something specific, maybe a plugin could be made of what you want and need.

• Options

I agree about the difference of the two activity streams for the generated messages. However, I'm not sure if it's logical to me, that the manually added messages of a user behave differently on the two streams. They both end up in both streams and I think that for the users it might not be clear that there's a difference.
    But anyways, I just wanted to know if that's intentional or not. Thanks for your feedback.

• Options
    Answer ✓

Gonna say I have to agree with @lea here that saving both activities as the same type is a strongly expected behavior, if only because the whole activity-feed/profile/status-update model is so strongly patterned after Facebook. Posting a status at the top of the Facebook news feed is equivalent to posting it at the top of your profile.

I'd say that Facebook has enough clout, and Vanilla is patterned similarly-enough to Facebook that I would rather this behavior to act consistently.

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

There's 'personal-news' and there is 'site-news'. When there is 'site-news' it's posted in /activity (someone joined). Do you really want to see on facebook that another user just joined facebook? or do you want to see that someone 'liked' someone else? Don't think so.

• Options

No, we're just talking about the activities that a user can manually add by writing something in to the textarea on the page and hitting the share button.
    As I said in my last post, I agree with you about the automatically generated activity messages.