Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Integrate events calendar for the community

markkugelmarkkugel New
edited June 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi vanilla people,

I'm looking for a events calendar tool/plugin/application that interact with vanilla forums or blog or a dedicated page.
What I wish is adding a "Upcomming Events" block (just like "My Profile", "Categories" or "Popular Tags").
There will show the X next events (or events in the X next days) from an integrate calendar. I dont want to gather Google or facebook-like Calendar feeds.

My choosen vanilla-users will be able to publish a new event just like making a new post.
Does any one hear about a kind of tool like this ?

Thank you.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓

I'd like to validate that this would be a great extension, but no such thing exists to my knowledge.

This would not too complicated, but definitely not trivial to implement. So if you're not a developer you'll have to somehow inspire one...

Thinking how about how this might be implemented... I suppose it could be done as a whole separate Vanilla application, which makes sense for some reasons.

But I'm sort of imagining integrating better as a special thread category, where each thread is given time/place metadata. Thus the events could be discussed forum-style, but could simultaneously be displayed in calendar format, in a sidebar panel or on a separate page.

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓

I'd like to validate that this would be a great extension, but no such thing exists to my knowledge.

This would not too complicated, but definitely not trivial to implement. So if you're not a developer you'll have to somehow inspire one...

Thinking how about how this might be implemented... I suppose it could be done as a whole separate Vanilla application, which makes sense for some reasons.

But I'm sort of imagining integrating better as a special thread category, where each thread is given time/place metadata. Thus the events could be discussed forum-style, but could simultaneously be displayed in calendar format, in a sidebar panel or on a separate page.

• Options

hmmm too sad nothing like this already exist.
    I think you are right about integrating as a special category is such the better way.
    I'm definatly not a developer nor dev-fan, but I will look to documentation to know how to hook a category to insert meta data into the database.
    Once it's done, it should not be too complicate to read it from a tools like "FullCalendar".

If I find a way (may take time), I will post how I make it there.