Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to edit the comment count option under every discussion link on home page ?

MaddoxMaddox New
edited June 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello all. I want to edit the comment count option under every discussion link on home page. As of now under every discussion link on home page, it read 'x comment/comments' where x is the number of comments on that discussion. I want to change the 'comment' label to 'post' so that it will read 'x post/posts'. How can I do it ? On which file I need to edit the code ? I'm unable to find the code to edit.

Best Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2012 Answer ✓
    $Definition['%s comment']='%s post';
    $Definition['%s comments']='%s posts';

see the documentation on locales and themes as well as the wiki.
    http://vanillaforums.org/docs/localization

most likely your definition.php in your theme.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    Answer ✓

@Maddox

Use Firebug or another element inspector to find out what the element is called, and then in your custom.css file set it to

display:none
  • peregrineperegrine MVP

use

$Definition['%s comment']='';
    $Definition['%s comments']='';

then post an image with what you want to remove circled. I can't understand what you are talking about. The above should remove comment count period - permanently.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    $Definition['%s comment']='%s post';
    $Definition['%s comments']='%s posts';

see the documentation on locales and themes as well as the wiki.
    http://vanillaforums.org/docs/localization

most likely your definition.php in your theme.

• @peregrine. Thank you very much. But what should I do if I need to remove that comment count that reads 'x comment/comments' below every discussion link on the home page ?
    It should only display the discussion topic with the author's name but no comment count.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    Answer ✓

@Maddox

Use Firebug or another element inspector to find out what the element is called, and then in your custom.css file set it to

display:none
  • If I am thinking logically, i would assume this would do it.

• @peregrine... Yup its working. Thanks a lot. But how to remove that comment count permanently from being visible under the link to any discussion on home page ?? It should only display the discussion topic with the author's name but no comment count.

• peregrineperegrine MVP

use

then post an image with what you want to remove circled. I can't understand what you are talking about. The above should remove comment count period - permanently.

• @peregrine.. You got me right. This is what I was talking about. Thanks again. I got it.