HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Opinion about an forum auto-update plugin

edited June 2012 in Feedback

Hi

Wordpress has a nifty feature that allows users to auto-update their installations to the most recent versions.

I know the existence of this plugin: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/881/auto-upgrade

However what I mean is a plugin that would directly connect to the GitHub repository and get the most stable version or automatically allow updating serious security updates when necessary without need for manual uploading and/or extra work for the developers.

For me, I would see advantage on using Git as a way of updating the PHP scripts and keeping our installs safe. It would require installing Git on the server, so probably this option does not please a lot of users.

Perhaps a more traditional way can be applied. The good part is that GitHub also prepackages .zip files that we can automate and extract.

What do you think?

Good idea or bad idea?

It would require developers to create a new branch on GitHub and call it "stable" so that we can use this into practice.

With my regards,
Nuno Brito