Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

how can I delete my account from vanilla forums?

vershaversha New
edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

how can I delete my account from vanilla forums?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

As a forum owner we never allow ppl to delete their accts. Nor do we delete accts.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Seriously? Not cool.

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

DirtyBerry said:
    Seriously? Not cool.

Excellent first post...care to expand on the above ?

To iterate, my reply was as a forum owner, not AS THIS forum owner. Which I am not

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited July 2012

You can delete a user with the right permissions, you have three options:

Keep User Content, Blank User Content, Remove User Content.

Under these circumstances I would recommend to keep content it is too disruptive otherwise, only with a spammer would I remove content altogether.

I also sympathise with 422s position. People need to educate themselves about public information. Once you make information public, it is public, so even if you delete that information, it still may be available elsewhere. By removing it you, you give the impression you can control all information that is out in the wild.

People forget where they are when they are given permission to publish via proxy, they start talking about thing that aren't relevant to the domain like their "freedom of speech". Their rights are under a jurisdiction, they don't have right over a publisher's right to freedom of speech, just becuase they have been given permission to publish by proxy. They have a right to choose their publisher. It is really not complicated to understand. Think of all the site where you don't have control over, you are not entitled to tell them what to do.

People have tiffs, or they can't control their behaviour. If they don't want to post any more, simply set their email to a fake one, and stop visiting. That is basically not a lot different from the first option, anyway.

With private information data protection laws apply and you have to comply. Data protection applies to personal identifying information primarily, privacy laws are broader.

grep is your friend.

• Options

As a forum owner @422 , if you delete the my add-on http://vanillaforums.org/addon/loginradius-plugin , which is uploaded mistakenly .

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

@422 is not the forum owner, only the creators and programmers of vanilla can do it - Lincoln, Todd, Tim or Mark can do it. I don't even think @underdog can do it. as moderator.

Send them a message.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.