Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Tagging as a core feature

mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Will tagging be a part of the core for v2.1 and onwards? I recall seeing somewhere from one of the core devs that they are leaning towards a more tagged approach instead of hierarchy categories and such. I think this would be a good idea.

Comments

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Im sure i read that too. Just to confirm u r not mad lol

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    SheilaSheila ✭✭
    edited July 2012

So would it be wise move to enable tagging via addon already now? Tagging is imo more 2.0 or even 3.0ish way to organize posts and stuff than categories etc after all.

And if, any somewhat easy way to mass tag old topics as well? (My board is practically manually inported from Invision to Vanilla 1 several years ago and from there to Vanilla 2 recently.)

• Options
    ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

I would like to push tagging as a core feature down the line, but it's probably not in a way that you think. First off, we won't be getting rid of categories. They provide a useful mechanism for permissions that can scale reasonably well.

So if we do make tagging core it will operate in a similar way that it does now, but with more bells and whistles.

• Options
    SheilaSheila ✭✭
    edited July 2012

Todd said:
    First off, we won't be getting rid of categories. They provide a useful mechanism for permissions that can scale reasonably well.

Agreed. Categories are essential in ordering topics and because of the roles with forums. But with tagging involved, there's more options to find posts/ link and group them etc. so the importance of categories lessens.