Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Spacing in Category Meta data

edited July 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi everyone,

I have a problem when using the category view.

As you can see, there are spaces missing in there and it makes it look rough, what do I need to edit in categories/all.php?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

Edit in custom.css right click element in firebug , inspect. Note the css class. Add change to custom.css

Just need a margin-left:5px added to that class

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

I've looked in the only custom CSS I have (in my current theme's folder) and there is no LastDiscussionTitle class. Am I looking in the right place?

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

No. Look in style.css copy attributes to custom.css and modify there

• Options

you might also be able to modify the definition and add a space at end and space before.

$Definition['Most recent by %1$s'] = ' Most recent by %1$s ';

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

422 said:
    No. Look in style.css copy attributes to custom.css and modify there

I couldn't find a LastDiscussionTitle in style.css either :S

Will have a look for the definition.

• Options

You could do yourself some great learning if you read up on locales, internationalization for the definitions,

but the easiest way is to create a file called locale.php in your cnf directory.

/conf/locale.php

cut and paste the definitiion into the locale.php

delete the .ini files from your cache directory and see if it helps.

for the css part - you would do yourself a favor reading the documentation on themes.

the css in custom.css is used to override the css in styles.css.
    you create your own rules and add them to custom.css if you don't find what you want to modify.

Identify the element in firebug and add the rule.

to your custom.css - if you have duplicates the rule at the bottom of the custom.css takes precedence.
    if you place important! at the end of rule that also take precedence.

Don't know how familiar you are for css but do a search for css tutorial in google and it will explain how to do things.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I am very sorry for coming here knowing so little, is my first time using vanilla and I haven't been using any html or css for the last 2 years so still picking it back up again. I will definitely do the reading you suggested but also appreciate the immediate advice to fix what I need to fix. Thanks!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

if you are short on space on theme you could cut out the word Most and change started
    e.g. locale.php file

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();

$Definition['Most recent by %1$s']=' Recent by %1$s ';
    $Definition['Started by %1$s']=' Started: %1$s ';

make a copy of locale.php if you use it and call it locale.ph because when you upgrade it may get overwritten by the installation process.

or just add margin-left:5px;

this is specific for Categories - if you want the same for Discussions just remove body.Categories.

body.Categories div.Meta span
    {
    margin-left:5px;
    }

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

As an example:
    <div class="Meta"> <span class="Announcement">Announcement</span> <span class="CommentCount">1 comment</span> <span class="LastCommentBy"> <span class="LastCommentDate">July 7</span> <span> </div>

so you could make a css rule .Meta .CommentCount {margin-left:5px;}

etc etc

• Options

Got it working as I want, thanks a lot guys!

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2012

usually you post what you did, in case others want to follow in your footsteps. Or if there is an accept answer you accept the one that worked or the insightful or the awesome if they got you on your way to solving problem.