Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Over 20,000 happy customers and counting

ToivoToivo New
edited May 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
How is it measured

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Any time anyone clicks to download Vanilla, it goes to a page where the download is recorded and then PHP serves the file. The same way that downloads are counted for the add-ons directory.

The latest stats for Vanilla are:
    vanilla 0.9.0  		81
    vanilla 0.9.1 2872
    vanilla 0.9.2 9411
    Vanilla 0.9.2.3 82
    Vanilla 0.9.2.4 97
    Vanilla 0.9.2.5 2125
    Vanilla 0.9.2.6 18662
  • Options
    BenBen
    edited April 2006
    Vanilla 1  		Priceless
  • Options
    20,000 asses kicked and names taken
  • Options
    Mmm... those numbers aren't really representive.. I downloaded Vanilla 6.435 times :P
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    ceil($download);
  • Options
    Something like "Powered by Blogger" icon & code might be a good idea. To count all active installations.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    I presume that the upgrader will handle some installation statistics in the future if it doesn't already. Am I right, mark? Record the number of old installations vs new ones and show a proper count all neatly recorded and indexed.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @lech - that's the idea. I didn't want something pinging back at my server every time a page is loaded on every single Vanilla installation. So, the updater will record when administrators ping back here looking for updates and it will record what the request url is and what version of vanilla they are running.
  • Options
    What if its a sekret phorum and it is hidding in its hole.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Mark, sounds like an obviously good idea :) That would wreak havok on things unless you have a server dedicated to do that (which I can guess you don't). I suspect that A nifty feature would be to create a row in the extensions table or something to record a timestamp, and when an admin logs in, have it check for updates on a regular basis in X ammount of days from the last check. Then if there is an update (for those lazy admins not minding the application settings) it can fire a warning or something on login. Krak, Hmmm, I suspect then a level of private vs non-private forums could be listed if they're being recorded to some degree. Along with an option to display the address of your forum if you'd like it indexed publicly on lussumo or something. That would be Marks dept though, configuring where the option is and how reporting is handled. However, I would say to keep users really concerned about privacy and whatnot, leaving an option not to report anything at all would be wise, however, by doing that they couldn't check for updates or something.
This discussion has been closed.