HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Great addon! & some feedback

nicepaulnicepaul
edited August 2012 in Feedback

Love it, very useful addon! Here it is being used:

example

Here's some things to consider for future releases:

Uncapitalise "views"
To be consistent with "comments". Currently it's "14 View(s) | 6 comments"

auto-pluralise "views" when it's >1
Again, to be consistent with "1 comment / 2 comments". As well as currently being inconsistent with the comments label, "View(s)" with parenthesis is ugly and harder to read than "14 views | 6 comments".

Re-sort elements
As Chanux mentioned in another discussion, it'd be great to be able to re-order the elements in the settings page, without diving into the code.

Always use "Started by"
At the moment a discussion with no comments says "Started by nicepaul". A discussion with comments says "nicepaul | Recent MikeB". In my view, it should still say "Started by nicepaul | Recent MikeB"

Change "Recent" to "Latest"
Even old discussions with no recent posts say "Recent MikeB" – which is inaccurate. "Latest" is more accurate than "Recent".

I realise it's quite detailed feedback, but many of these changes are small yet significant. I hope this is useful stuff!

Paul

Comments

• Options

I'm also wondering if it's worth not-counting views by the original topic author. What do you think? I'm not sure on this one.

• Options

@nicepaul

upgraded to function with Vanilla 2.1 and 2.0.18.4.

you can change all the wording in
    AuthorTimeView/locale/en-CA.php

that's what localization is for. - everybody has there own preferences - whether it is Last, Recent, Started by, etc. It is simple to modify this file to whatever wording you want.

Did add the Chanux option for right side or left side display of view count.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    edited September 2012

Is there any way to change it so that the date doesn't drop down to the next line (I guess it could be my theme?)?

• Options

@thekillingtree said:
    Is there any way to change it so that the date doesn't drop down to the next line (I guess it could be my theme?)?

You are posting in the wrong plugin - you have a modified voting plugin in your theme).
    Not only is it your theme. The AuthorTimeView plugin does not produce the result you displayed.

click the image below
    it produces results (the F and L are from pagenavigator plugin and the views and Author and time are from Author Time view)
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21045/great-addon-some-feedback

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.